Considering a change to the Sprint network? I know what you're thinking: can I keep my own phone or will I have to buy a Sprint device?
Not only can you bring your own phone but you can also save even more money by switching to a cheaper wireless carrier that uses the nationwide 4G LTE Sprint network. These carriers are called Mobile Virtual Network Operators (MVNOs). These smaller cell phone plan providers buy up space on the big four networks and sell it to you at a discount.
COMPARE NOW: Sprint cell phone plans starting at $10 per month
MVNOs are well known for being BYOP (bring your own phone) friendly. In fact, some MVNOs require that you provide your own device. This saves you money as well as giving you freedom. Because you own your own cell phone you won't be tied to one carrier due to phone payments. You can switch any time you like, whether you find a better deal or you're simply unhappy with your current provider.
So, how does all of this work? It's easier than you think. Let's take a closer look at why you should consider a Sprint MVNO.
In This Guide
Keep Your Sprint Phone and Number and Switch to a Cheaper Plan
It's easy to bring your device to a Sprint MVNO.
- Choose a provider. Each carrier offers something different in terms of plans and features. Shop around until you find the right fit for your usage and budget.
- Check compatibility. Sprint is a CDMA network, so GSM phones will not work for their service. GSM is the network type that AT&T and T-Mobile use. CDMA is what Verizon and Sprint use. You'll get the best functionality out of your device if you use the correct type for the network.
- Sign up and order a SIM card kit. In most cases, you'll simply order your SIM card and pop it into your phone. Some carriers include a free SIM card with your plan while others charge a small fee for the kit.
There are a couple of other things you may need to do, depending upon your device. If it's locked to your current carrier, you'll need to learn how to unlock your phone.
You may also need to change the APN settings on your phone. Don't worry, though, it's easy.
Benefits of Sprint MVNOs
Switching to an alternative carrier that offers plans on the Sprint network makes sense for several reasons:
- Cell service on the same nationwide 4G LTE Sprint network you're used to
- Cheaper cell phone plans - typically more than 50% less
- BYOP and keep your phone number
- Custom plans so you only pay for what you actually need
- No contracts, credit checks, or commitments
- Great customer service
- Easy signup by ordering a SIM card activation kit online
Of course, you'll need a carrier - which brings us to the best Sprint MVNOs.
With TextNow you get a number of options, from an ad-supported free Wi-Fi plan all the way to an unlimited plan. This Sprint carrier provides service that switches between Wi-Fi and its cellular network as you move in and out of Wi-Fi range. Best of all, TextNow plans are very competitively priced.
If you're looking for a cheap cell phone plan powered by the Sprint network with backup on the Verizon Wireless network, Twigby may be just the carrier for you. This provider excels in ridiculously low prices on smaller data plans, perfect for light to moderate users. Twigby plans even include international unlimited texting for free. Twigby probably isn't for you, however, if you're looking for an unlimited data plan.
The advantage of this Sprint MVNO is its extreme flexibility. Tello lets you create your own no-contract plan, with options ranging from no data up to 10 GB. Texting is free, and your calling minutes also apply to Canada, Mexico, and China. In addition to their custom options, there are also four ready-made Tello service plans if you want to keep things simple.
Before you decide on a carrier, don't forget to check out the Sprint network coverage map to make sure they offer service in your area.
Refurbished Phone Options
It used to be that your only choices were to take the free cell phone your carrier offered or pay a premium for the one you really wanted. Now, though, you've got better options for bringing your own phone to your wireless plan.
You can, of course, bring your current device, as long as it's compatible with your new carrier. If you need a new phone, however, buying a used or refurbished smartphone typically saves you 50% or more over the retail price.
Why Buy Refurbished?
- Spend a fraction of the cost of a new phone and get a high-end device just a couple of model years old.
- You'll own your device outright, which means you're free to take it to any carrier you choose.
- Repairs are easy and cheap with the wide availability of third-party cell phone repair shops.
- There are plenty of reputable and reliable phone sellers to choose from.
- Research shows this option is becoming the norm, with the global refurbished smartphone market set to exceed $52 billion by 2022.
Key Considerations When Buying a Used or Refurbished Sprint Phone
- Used vs refurbished: Used devices come as-is, sometimes directly from the previous owner. Refurbished phones are repaired and the hard drive wiped clean before being sold.
- Warranty: Some sites offer a warranty on used devices. These usually range from 30 days to one year.
- Returns: Make sure you read the fine print on the seller's return policy. Some sites offer a 30-day no-hassle policy while others only allow you to return your phone if it wasn't as advertised.
- Shipping: The vast majority of sellers ship your phone for free.
- Cell phone insurance: Buying used doesn't mean you can't get additional protection. There are third-party companies that offer cell phone insurance on pre-owned smartphones.
- Device payments: You will probably run across a couple of sellers that offer phone financing. Unless you have no other option, we recommend against this. Interest charges can add up quickly.
Don't waste hours combing the internet for a good deal. Compare features and find the best prices on used Sprint phones in just seconds using our cell phone price comparison tool.
Save Even More - Sell Your Old Phone
Put even more cash in your pocket by selling your unused smartphone or other devices. If you've avoided doing so because you think it's too complicated, rest assured that's not the case.
It used to be that you'd have to find your own buyer, take photos, and deal with all of the emails from buyers. Things are much different now because of reputable sites that buy used electronics site unseen. At MSP we make it even easier for you to compare the best offers on your used phone. See the highest cash prices in seconds with our used phone offer comparison tool.
Stop paying premium prices for your phone and your mobile service:
- Bring your own phone instead of blowing $1000 on a new one.
- Save 50% on a refurbished smartphone when it's time for a new device.
- Save up to half or more on your cell phone plan with a Sprint MVNO.
- Sell your old phones and put cash back into your pocket.
Want to see just how much you could be saving? Use our cell phone plan savings calculator to get the hard numbers in just three simple steps!
COMPARE NOW: Sprint cell phone plans starting at $10 per month