Best Place to Buy Glasses Online
The best online glasses stores have made the process of purchasing prescription eyeglasses a lot easier. Years ago, buying glasses meant visiting a store and trying on various frame styles.The styles available were limited to what could fit in the store.
If you are among the 150 million Americans who wear glasses to correct a vision problem, ordering glasses online means you can you pick out your next pair of designer optical frames from the comfort of your home. But what are the other benefits of buying your glasses online? We've taken a close look at several online eyeglasses stores. I include below our top picks for design options and service.
Best Online EyeGlasses: What to Consider
I've created our reviews to help you pick the best online glasses shop for your needs. When reviewing the best glasses stores, I looked at a variety of features. Cost is just one thing to think about. You'll be wearing these glasses every day, so you want to make sure you can find a pair that makes you look great. Here are some of the criteria I used to make our top picks.
1. Frame selection
The best places to buy glasses online offer a wide variety of frame styles and sizes. People's faces come in all different shapes and sizes. The larger the selection, the easier it is for you to find a pair of glasses that flatters your face. According to the American Optometric Association, how the frames physically fit your face is as important as how they look.
2. Range of lens options
The type of lens available is important too. Ideally, the retailer will sell a lens that works with your prescription. A variety of lens features, such as anti-glare and scratch resistant coatings, are ideal too.
3. Competitive pricing
Between the cost of designer optical frames and the cost of lenses, glasses can be expensive if you do not shop around for the best deals. Price points vary among the best online glasses sites. You'll want to compare prices before you commit to buying a new pair of glasses.
4. Speed of delivery
The one benefit of buying glasses in person is that you get them right away. Shipping speeds vary among online glasses retailers. The best places to buy glasses online offer a variety of shipping options to meet your needs.
How to Buy Prescription Glasses Online
Everyone who wears glasses has a slightly different prescription. Your prescription might change over time as your vision needs change. When you buy glasses in person, you simply hand your prescription to the lens technician and he or she works their magic.
Buying prescription eyeglasses online is made more complicated by the fact that you need to put in your prescription details yourself on the order form. If you don't understand what the abbreviations on your prescription mean, it can be like typing in gibberish. Here's a quick guide to the terms and abbreviations you'll find on your glasses prescription.
- OD and OS. OD stands for oculus dexter, which simply means right eye in Latin. OS stands for oculus sinister and is the Latin for the left eye. Some prescriptions also have a column called "OU," which is short for oculus uterque and means both eyes.
- Sphere. You'll be asked to list the sphere for the OD and OS. The sphere refers to the lens power needed to correct either nearsightedness or farsightedness. It's a positive number if you're farsighted and a negative number if you're nearsighted.
- Cylinder. Your prescription will include values for the cylinder if you have astigmatism. A positive number is for farsighted astigmatism and a negative number is for nearsighted astigmatism.
- Axis. If your prescription has a cylinder value, it will also have an axis value, from 1 to 180.
- Prism Values. Prism values are rare, but if your prescription has them, you'll need to include the number and the direction listed.
Getting Custom Glasses Frames for Men and Women
The biggest benefit of buying your glasses in person is that you can try them on first. You get to look in the mirror and see whether a pair looks great on you or not. While you can't quite recreate the in-store try on experience when you buy glasses online, there are ways to be sure the glasses you pick will work for you.
- Try On In-store, Buy Online. The best way to make sure the glasses frames you pick are flattering is to try them on in person before you buy. Doing so isn't always easy, though. You need to get to the store, evade pushy sales people, then figure out the model number and style of designer glasses frames you like. There's also no guarantee that the pair of glasses you like in person will be sold online.
- Try a Virtual Fitting Room. Technology has made it easier than ever to virtually try on glasses. Many of the best online glasses companies have virtual try-on rooms. You upload a photo of yourself or use your device's camera to see how certain pairs will look on your face.
- Try On and Return. In-home try on programs recreates the in-store try on experience, minus the pushy salespeople. Some online glasses stores will send you a few different styles to try on for about a week. You return the pairs that didn't work at the end of the trial. Other stores have a flexible return policy, so you can get your money back if you return the glasses within the time window.
The Best Places to Buy Glasses
GlassesUSA.com Online Glasses Review
- 50% Off Sale
- Great choice of frames
- Includes designer brands such as Ray-Ban, Oakley and more
- Free shipping and returns
- 24/7 live customer service
- Limited selection of children's frames
If you're looking for the best place to buy glasses online, GlassesUSA.com is a great option. Established in 2008, GlassesUSA.com is one of the leading retailers for prescription glasses and sunglasses in the US. It offers a wide variety of designer frames, high quality lenses at affordable prices and a full risk free 14 day money back guarantee, which provides added peace of mind. In addition, they also produce all of their own lenses in a specialist laboratory.
It has a good selection of designer brands, such as Ray-Ban, Oakley, Adidas and Calvin Klein. There are more than 2,000 frame options available in total, so there should be something to suit most tastes. However, it is worth bearing in mind that there is not a huge amount of choice when it comes to frames for children.
When you are ready to choose your frames, GlassesUSA.com has a Virtual Optician facility to help you make the perfect choice as well as offering virtual try-on facilities. You will receive scratch resistant lenses with any frame that you purchase, along with extras such as a protective case and cleaning cloth.
Another thing worth noting is that the site often features discounts and deals online. Keep your eyes open for these deals, so that you can save money on the cost of your eyeglasses. GlassesUSA.comis a great site for adults who want ample frame selection, help picking out the right frames and lots of extras.
FramesDirect Online Glasses Review
- Huge range of designer frames
- Great choice of quality lenses
- Designer sunglasses available
- Military discounts available
- Frames and lenses sold separately
FramesDirect has over 100,000 options to choose from. This is ideal for those who want a really diverse variety of frames. The downside is that your lenses aren't included with the cost of the frames. However, there are plenty of high quality lenses to select from too, so after a little browsing, you will be able to find the perfect frames to suit your face as well as the perfect lenses for your vision. The lenses available from FramesDirect do come with the protection of scratch resistance and UV coating.
The website is pretty easy to use, and there are a number of ways you can search for the most suitable frames including by price, brand, or popularity. If you are into fashion designer labels, you will love the options on this site, with brands such as Gucci, DKNY, and Calvin Klein, to name but a few. It also sells designer frames from Ray-Ban and Oakley.
When it comes to shipping, orders typically take 6-11 days to arrive and free shipping is available for certain orders. Expedited shipping options are available if you need to have your glasses sooner. Pricing on this site is competitive, and if you are a member of the armed forces you can benefit from a military discount from a subsidiary of the company.
FramesDirect is accredited by the Better Business Bureau and enjoys a rating of A-. It also has very good ratings on consumer sites such as Top Consumer Reviews and Yelp.
With its great selection of stylish frames, FramesDirect is a great option for those looking for quality designer frames, quality lenses, and the opportunity to buy from a reputable company.
Eyeglasses.com Online Glasses Review
- Huge variety of frames available
- Good range of frames with options treatments
- Educational content online
- Free shipping on certain orders
- No live chat available online
- Return shipping if you need to send your glasses back is at your own cost
When you shop at Eyeglasses.com, you will be able to benefit from access to a huge range of frame options, with over 200,000 choices available. For those who are into designer brands, there is no shortage of options, such as Gucci, Prada, D&G, and a range of other big name brands. The large selection makes it easy to find frames that complement your face perfectly and make you feel confident and stylish.
One of the downsides of this retailer is that much of the stock is virtual and therefore has to be ordered from third parties. Some people may be put off by this because it can slow down shipping. It is worth noting that shipping to addresses in the United States is free over a certain amount, although there is no free return shipping.
In addition to a great choice of designer eyeglass frames, you will also find plenty of lens options at eyeglasses.com. There are also many treatments and coating options available for lenses, so you can ensure the ones you get are perfectly suited to your needs and offer the right levels of protection.
Eyeglasses.com is BBB accredited and enjoys the highest A+ rating from the bureau. It also has good reviews on consumer sites such as knoji.com and resellerratings.com. It is also worth noting that the site offers educational content relating to eye care and eyeglasses, which can prove invaluable for those who need more information before they buy glasses online. While customer service is decent with this site, there is no live chat available.
With its great catalog of frames, it is a good option for those who want to be able to quickly find the perfect frames, so the fact that many of the frames are ordered from third parties should not put you off. However, some people may be put off by the cost to return items.
Glasses.com Online Glasses Review
- Virtual try-on app using iPad
- Try-on service available at home
- Great range of frames for adults
- A range of extras with your glasses
- Free shipping and returns
- Selection of frames for children is pretty limited
- Virtual try-on app is via iPad only at present (no Android or desktop version)
If you want an online glasses retailer that has a great selection of designer frames to suit a variety of tastes and styles, check out glasses.com. You will find an array of designer frames to choose from, such as ECO, Nike, and Oakley, to name but a few. When it comes to frames for men and women, the selection is impressive. Unfortunately, the lineup is not so great when it comes to kids' frames. The company is working on improving its options for kids.
Glasses.com has many frame options to choose, so finding something that looks good, fits in with your style, and aids your vision should not be a problem. The website offers detailed information about the different frames, enabling you to find out about the options when it comes to size and color. A great feature that comes from Glasses.com is its try-on app. Using your iPad, you can virtually try on the store's glasses.
Another great feature available from Glasses.com is its home try-on program.You can select up to five frames that you are interested in from the site. It will send them to your home so that you can try them for size. You get to hang on to them for up to a week before using the prepaid label to return them. In addition, this retailer offers free shipping and returns, and the glasses come with various extras such as a hard case, cleaning cloth, and durable lenses.
This retailer has some good customer reviews and a higher than average rating on sites such as Reseller.com. Its wide choice of frames along with its home try on service has earned it top place in our list.
All in all, Glasses.com is an excellent choice if you want great choice, great quality, and good service.
Zenni Optical Online Glasses Review
- Cheap online prescription glasses (some frames for $6.95)
- Free UV/Anti-Scratch coatings
- Large selection of styles for men, women and kids
- Virtual try-on feature
- No designer labels
- Shipping takes an average of 17.5 days
Zenni Optical provides you with access to a great choice of frames, offering a very good lineup for men, women and children. In addition, Zeeni offers free anti-scratch and UV coating on its lenses, for additional protection.
There are thousands of frames available, but no name brands. That said, the options from this retailer are stylish, modern, and of high quality. They also come with a free protective case and cleaning cloth.
When you go onto the Zenni website, you can search for suitable frames with ease, as you can select by style and choose from a range of materials ranging from plastic and alloy through to stainless steel or titanium. All of the frame pages on the site provide you with vital details such as frame dimensions, color options, and the types of lenses that will be suitable for each particular frame. This helps to make the buying process easier and more convenient.
The Zenni Frame Fit widget is a valuable resource offered by this retailer, and this enables you to try on the frames virtually using a photo from your computer or smartphone. You can then see what the different frames will look like on your face in order to make an informed decision about which ones you choose. When it comes to choice, Zenni offers not only a good variety of frames but also a good range of lenses to suit different needs. There are no sunglasses available from Zenni, but you can opt for clip-on sunshades with any frame that you buy from here.
Zenni Optical is accredited with the Better Business Bureau and enjoys the top A+ rating from the BBB. It also enjoys average to very good ratings on review sites such as resellerratings.com, knoji.com and viewpoints.com.
Zenni Optical provides a solid choice for those who want to enjoy excellent choice, stylish designs, and a number of extras when they order their eyeglasses.
Pick Out the Best Eyeglass Frames for Your Face
Maybe this if your first time buying glasses ever and you have no idea what styles will work or what shape of frames you want. While picking out frames, a good rule of thumb to follow is to match the shape of your face to the shape of your frames.
Find Your Face Shape to Get the Best Glasses Online
Rosin Eyecare suggests a simple process for finding your face shape. To figure out your face shape you'll need a mirror and an eyeliner pencil or marker. Looking in the mirror, make a dot on the left and right sides of your forehead. Make another dot on the edges of your cheekbones, near the eyes, and another dot on each side of the jawline.
When you look at the dots, it should be easy to detect the shape of your face.
- Round: If you have a round face, the dots will appear to be equally spaced apart. Your cheeks look full and you most likely don't have sharp angles on your face.
- Oval: If you have an oval face, the dots one your cheekbones are the furthest away from each other. The dots on your jaw and forehead are nearly evenly spaced apart.
- Triangle: If you have a triangle-shaped face, the dots on your forehead are very close together while the dots on your jaw are far apart.
- Heart-Shaped: If you have a heart-shaped face, the dots on your jaw are close together and the dots on your forehead are far apart.
- Diamond: The diamond shape is similar to an oval-shaped face, except the dots on the forehead and jaw are closer together.
- Square: If you have a square face, the three pairs of dots are close to equally far apart. Unlike a round face, your forehead and jaw are angular.
- Rectangle: If your face is a rectangle, all three pairs of dots are close to equally far apart and your face is longer than it is wide.
Choose the Best Eyeglass Frames Online
Once you know your face shape, you can choose the ideal frame style. Your mileage may vary, but generally contrasting the shape of your face with the shape of your frames will yield the best result. Round and oval faces, for example, are perfect for square and rectangular frames. Square and rectangular faces, meanwhile, benefit from round or oval frames. Check out our list of frame suggestions for different face shapes.
- Round Face: Rectangular or cat-eye frames
- Oval Face: Square, rectangular and aviator frames
- Triangle Face: Frames with something stylistic to focus on like a color
- Heart-Shaped Face: Frames with something that make eyeglasses less noticeable like light colors
- Diamond Face: Frames that draw the attention towards your eyes
- Square Face: Round or oval frames
- Rectangular Face: Round, oval and sometimes aviator frames
Getting Cheap Glasses Online
The cost of eyewear can be pricey, especially if you're in the market for designer eyeglass frames. There are a few reasons why it's easier to buy cheap glasses online.
Some companies offer their own brands of glasses. The frames and styles available are still stylish, but because you aren't getting a designer label attached, the price is usually much lower.
Another reason why many online glasses are cheaper than in-store models is that online retailers don't have to pay for brick and mortar stores or for the salespeople to run them. The costs savings are then passed on to you, the customer.
EyeGlasses Online Review Recap
Everyone's style is different. You might be interested in finding the perfect pair of designer frames. Another person might be more interested in finding the best cheap glasses online. The thousands of styles, brands and price points offered by the best online glasses stores means anyone can find the perfect pair for them, all without leaving home. Just ask the 2.7 million people who found a pair of eyeglasses online in 2015.
While eyeglasses might be the perfect option for some, there are days when you might want to go glasses-free. If you'd like to find the best contact lenses online, I've put together a guide to help you do so. Like the best online glasses stores, the best online contact lenses companies offer a wide range of options, speedy shipping and great customer service.
You might not have perfect vision. But there are plenty of options out there to help you correct it, while looking great.
Best Online Glasses FAQs
Is my contact lens prescription the same as my eyeglasses prescription?
No, eyeglasses and contact prescriptions are not the same so if you only have an up-to-date contact lens prescription then you'll need to have a current eye exam conducted. These two prescriptions do have a few things in common including the lens power needed to adjust a refractive error (nearsightedness, farsightedness, and astigmatism). Contact lens prescriptions usually include additional information that is not necessary for glasses prescriptions like the base curve, diameter, material, and expiration date). Regardless of whether or not you're going to purchase contact lenses, an individual between the ages 20-30 should have at least one eye exam every two years.
What are some signs that I may need glasses?
Some common warning signs that you may require glasses are blurred vision, squinting, sensitivity to light, difficulties reading, frequent to severe headaches, and excessive tearing. It's strongly advised to get an eye exam by a medical professional at least once every two years for individuals between the age 20 and 30. By doing so, you'll be able to determine whether or not your vision can be improved through the use of corrective lenses and also to diagnose the health of your eyes. Most eye diseases have no pain associated to them which makes it even more important to have regular checkups.
What is a prescription (Rx)?
In layman's terms, the Rx is what ophthalmologist and optometrists give you with the specifications necessary to correct your vision. The Rx will be organized in horizontal or vertical rows which indicate the Sphere (SPH), Cylinder (CYL), and Axis. The sphere power is the overall power of the lens, the cylinder indicates the extent of an astigmatism and correction necessary, and the axis is used for contact lenses that are designed to suit astigmatisms. On your prescription, if you see OD, that refers the your "right eye" while OS refers to your "left eye" and OU refers to "both eyes." Additions for near-vision reading may also be noted for the purpose of purchasing bifocals or progressive eyeglasses.