An important part of protecting your home is to ensure that you have the best home security system in place.
These systems can make a significant difference to the security of your property and the safety of your loved ones. Also, having a good home security system installed means that both you and your family can enjoy valuable protection and peace of mind.
In our research, we considered the best home security companies that are reputable, reliable, and who offer a wide variety of protection plans at an affordable price. A home security system not only makes your home harder to rob, but it also makes it a less attractive target for burglars.
We've reviewed the top home security systems to help you find a company that best suits your needs.
Our Top Picks
It is always advisable to weigh the pros and cons of a product before coming to a decision. Based on the above criteria, we've found the best home security systems currently on the market. These picks offer superior protection options and industry-leading customer service.
- Monthly Price: $19.99-42.99
- Installation Fee: FREE
Protect America Review
- Starts at only $19.99 per month
- Lowest price guaranteed
- No installation or equipment fees
- 100% wireless
- Landline, broadband, & cellular monitoring
- Outsources monitoring
- Cameras only record when alarm activates
Protect America provides access to a range of home security and safety systems, from home surveillance systems through to carbon monoxide detectors. Founded in 1992, it has earned the Best Buy Award from Consumer Digest for its low service fees, no upfront costs, and excellent service.
Protect America has five security systems available in total, with a number of packages to choose from based on the level of security you need and your budget. The package you choose will determine the number of security devices you receive.
It is worth noting that the company does outsource its monitoring.
- Monthly Price: $44.99-49.99
- Installation Fee: FREE
- Self-installation option
- Excellent customer service department
- Customizable packages available
- Wireless technology
- Competitive pricing
- No 2-way intercom system
- No snapshot functionality
- Not licensed in some states
Frontpoint Security is a relatively new provider, starting in 2007, although its founders have decades of home security experience.
Making use of innovative wireless technology, Frontpoint offers access to a wide variety of systems to help make your home more secure. The advantage of having a wireless system is that it can't be externally disabled by a trespasser so you can enjoy peace of mind and security. You can also enjoy the option of self-installation, which is ideal if you want to save money and if you move into a new home in the future.
Frontpoint charges no installation or activation fees. You are billed only for your security system equipment and monthly monitoring package. Once you sign up, the security system is shipped to you.
- Monthly Price: $36.99-58.99
- Installation Fee: $99
ADT Security Review
- 130+ years of experience
- Wide variety of products
- Automated and remote system monitoring
- Monitoring centers across US that provie 24/7 support
- Around-the-clock security monitoring
- Costly installation fee
- User reviews indicate poor customer service levels
- More Expensive than other systems - paying for 'brand' name
ADT is one of the most well-known and long-standing names in home security with over 140 years of offering security services to its customers. Today they offer a wide range of home security products including home monitoring and remote system control.
ADT stands out amongst the competition with its mobile app available for smartphones. Coupled with the home automation services gives you complete command over your home remotely where you can control temperature, lighting, locks, and even arm or disarm the home's security system.
Compare Home Security Packages
The Best Home Security Systems
Considerations When Choosing a Home Security System
When it comes to our homes, families, and belongings, we all want to do everything we can to keep them safe. However, without the top home security system, our homes are at risk of all sorts of danger. If you are interested in the best security system, here are a few things to reflect on before making your purchase:
- Costs & Fees - Keep in mind what all comes with the purchase of a security system - equipment, installation fee, monthly monitoring fees (if you choose)
- Installation Process - Wired and monitored systems are typically the most complicated, and it's a good idea to hire a professional. In fact, some home security companies won't give you the option to install a security system yourself. If you are dealing with a wireless system with no home monitoring, installation should be straightforward, and you will most likely be able to do it on your own.
- Customer Service - Look at the company's history. How long have they been in business? Longevity doesn't always mean an organization is reputable, but long-standing companies at least have a track record to reference.
Home Security System Features
All the top rated home security systems offer a plethora of features and equipment to better protect your home. We've compiled a list of services you can expect a home security system to offer or provide.
- 24/7 Home Monitoring System
- Fire and smoke detectors
- Carbon monoxide detectors
- Motion sensor lights
- home security cameras
- Remote web/mobile access
- Email/text notification
- Voice Control
Related: Nanny Cams are not commonly included with a home security system, but should be considered if you have young children at home. For more information, read our buyer's guide to Nanny Cams.
Some of the top home security systems go above and beyond, offering numerous extra features that allow you to automate certain services in your home at the touch of a button. These smart home automation systems features are typically mobile or computer apps you can use on a smartphone or laptop. They include:
- Cellular connection
- Electronic remote door locks
- Lighting control
- Thermostat control
- Garage door control
- Smart Outlets
Unsurprisingly, you can expect to pay extra for these services if you purchase them.
Security System Types
Home security systems can just come with the basics, or you can choose a variety of additional products, based on what the company offers and what you need. A typical alarm system comes with a control panel and sensors that are placed on all the entry points, including windows.
Beyond that, you can choose a myriad of different security products like intercom systems, security cameras, remote access, and home monitoring services. The necessity of these extras depends on what you think you need for your home and area.
- Wireless Home Security - This self-installed system is the easiest to install is a wireless home security system, where the control panel communicates with the sensors digitally. Because of this, it makes for the number-one DIY home security system. These aren't as reliable as hard-wired systems because they can pick up interference from other electronics and even neighboring systems. However, their easy and non-intrusive installation makes them a popular choice for apartments and renters.
- Wired Security Systems - Professional installed wired systems are hard to tamper with and are more reliable than even the foremost wireless home security system. These involve running wires through the walls to connect the control panel to the sensors. Installing wired systems is intrusive and complicated and best left to a professional.
- Smart Home Systems - Smart home systems give you remote access to your home from a tablet or a smartphone. If an alarm is triggered, the monitoring system notifies the company. The company then evaluates the alarm to determine if it is false or legitimate and then notifies the police.
Home Security Packages
|Company||Installation Fee||Monthly Price|
There are many home security companies out there and even more products out there that will help you craft a DIY home security system. But since the security of your home is such an important topic, finding the perfect system for you is vital.
Do You Need a Security System?
There are some areas of the United States that are quite peaceful and violent crime rates are low. If you live in a place like Cavalier County, North Dakota, you may not need a world class security system with all the bells and whistles. However, if you happen to live near other people, especially in the major cities, some form of home security doesn't hurt.
According to an FBI estimate, there are over 2 million burglaries a year and $4.6 billion in lost property. With numbers like these, it's clear that protecting your home is something worth giving serious consideration.
You are 300% more likely to be broken into if your home doesn't have a home security system.
The FBI also reports that around 30 percent of burglaries happen through unlocked doors and windows and 60 percent are by forced entry. That's why it's a good idea to protect your entry points with an alarm. Although a home security system can't stop a break-in, it can act as a deterrent. Burglars prefer an easy target.
There are over 2 million burglaries a year and $4.6 billion in lost property.
Peace of Mind
Robberies happen all the time, but it's true that a lot of people can go their entire lives without getting their houses broken into. Even if you're almost certain that your house will never be broken into, a home alarm system may be worth the cost simply for the peace of mind.
While there are plenty of options available when it comes to choosing a home security provider and system, it is important to take key factors into consideration. This includes reputation, reviews, suitability of products, and costs.
If you have elderly loved ones or you could use some extra personal monitoring when you are home alone, it could be worth investing in a medical alert system. You can learn more and see our top picks in our buyer's guide to medical alert systems.
Most home security companies do not serve apartments. Fear not, as there are ways to keep your apartment protected. Check out our guide to apartment security for useful tips and advice.