You may have a collection of old MacBooks and laptops collecting dust in your closet or storage area.
And you're probably thinking, "How do I go about selling a laptop? What are the best options?"
Well, we've taken the time to research and compare several used laptop online marketplaces, in an effort to help you safely sell your laptop for the maximum amount possible. Read on to learn what the five best sites to sell your laptop are.
Table of Contents
Key Factors to Keep in Mind When Selling Your Laptop
- Consider the timing of your sale. Of course, a recently-produced laptop or MacBook will fetch for hefty cash on the market, but who sells a spanking-new laptop? The best time to sell your laptop is when the next laptop lineup has launched.
- Back up all of your content! Be sure to back up all files you need before you sell your laptop. Follow the computer backup rule of three - back up three copies of everything you need, in two physical formats (external hard drive, flash drive) and one off-site backup (cloud backup such as Google Drive, OneDrive, etc.). For more information, we have an in-depth guide to backing up your computer's files.
- Wipe your computer. While some sellers will wipe your computer's data for you, you're better off doing the task yourself (you wouldn't want stray eyes to glance at anything important, would you?). Simply put, it is better to be safe than sorry. Depending on your operating system, you can simply go to your Recovery settings (if on Windows) or Disk Utility (MacOS) to wipe your PC.
- Compare prices on the laptop. To get the maximum amount of cash possible for your laptop, you'll need to compare prices among sites in the marketplace.
Why Sell Your Laptop Online?
There are several reasons why you're better off selling your laptop online, including:
- Validation in Minutes. With validation, customers will have peace of mind when purchasing your laptop. Validation only takes a few minutes with identification, such as a Facebook profile or government ID.
- Make More Money Fast. Look around at our top sites listed below to make sure you get the most money for your device.
- It's Environmentally Friendly! Selling your laptop instead of throwing it away is essentially recycling. After all, a laptop requires rare-earth metals for production, making them environmentally-unfriendly. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) estimated that, in 2009, only 38 percent of computers by weight were recycled. The other laptops? Either lying about in storage or piling up in landfills.
Factors to Consider When Selling Your Laptop
- Seller fees - Some sites, like Glyde, will charge you a certain amount when you list your posting. They may also take a percentage of the profits you earn by selling your laptop.
- Shipping - Do you or the buyer pay for this shipping?
- Are you selling to the company or directly to an individual? - If you are selling your laptop or Macbook directly to the buyer, then it is likely that you will be responsible for the device until it is in the hands of the buyer. You need to make sure that the laptop needs to stay safe along its travels by packaging your device with great care and purchase insurance - trust me, because of poor packaging and lack of shipping insurance, I lost $600 in a laptop sale.
- Returns - If you're selling to the company, be sure to read the return policy. For instance, if your laptop doesn't match the description you provided, the company may either send it back to your or worse - they won't sell it. That's because there are so many products coming into the company's warehouses that they don't have the capacity to store or return them.
Additionally, when you sell either a Macbook or laptop, be sure to do the following:
- Be 100 percent certain on the Macbook's or laptop's condition.
- Compare prices among device-buying-and-selling sites.
- If shipping the product yourself will save you money, do so.
Furthermore, if you're on the hunt for a new laptop, consider a used, refurbished laptop from a reputable seller. You'll be able to save a lot of money that way, especially when you put your earnings from your laptop sale to a newer laptop.
Best Places to Sell Your Laptop
- It provides a simple and convenient means of getting rid of unwanted items
- Payment the day after items have been inspected
- You can sell via the desktop or the Decluttr app
- All you need to do is scan the barcode or enter barcode manually to get an instant price
- You get free shipping on all items you sell with the use of the provided shipping label
- They reserve the right to not pay you for rejected items- and they will not return the items
- You don't get a huge amount for your items
It's likely that your dusty, old laptop is adding to the clutter of your home, so why not "declutter" with Decluttr? Decluttr is an app and website that allows you to sell your unwanted laptops, cell phones, video games, CD, and more.
- You can choose from a variety of ways to be paid - Paypal, check, or Amazon Gift Card
- It offers fantastic customer service
- No transaction fees or costs attached to your Gazelle account
- You'll be able to sell the latest MacBooks
- Gazelle will do the work for you by sending you a pre-labeled package
- The payout for sold items is lower because the service is simpler
- If your evaluation doesn't line up with the online questionnaire your offer may decrease accordingly
- If a new offer is sent- you have 5 days to accept/reject the offer. If you don’t choose before the 5 days are up the offer is automatically accepted
Gazelle is a leader in the selling marketplace, offering not only instant quotes but also quick and painless payments for both individuals and businesses. At the time of this writing, it has bought and sold millions of devices and paid out over $200 million. Impressive, right?
- Closely reviews all sellers' products to ensure quality and functionality
- Purchases and sales are made strictly through Paypal in order to protect both parties
- A seller rating system is in place
- Excellent customer service
- Very easy to use
- PayPal is the only method of payment
- There is an expiration date on your listing
- Seller is responsible for device and it's condition until it gets to the buyer
As a unique feature in the online marketplace, Swappa offers peer-to-peer services. You are able to set the price and interact with buyers directly, but you must do the work when it comes to shipping your laptop and you must provide proof that the laptop is fully functional - as in, the laptop must be in good condition.
More Ways to Save Money
Of course, you can also consider selling other items, such as old CDs, DVDs, Blu-Rays, gaming consoles, video games, iPads, or Tablets. To save on your home space and earn quite a few extra dollars to put toward new purchases check out our guides on where to sell the following:
Selling your Macbook or laptop for cash is the perfect way to get rid of space in your home and make some extra cash, but instead of trading in your device, you should sell your device for cash at an online marketplace like Swappa, Gazelle, Glyde, BuyBackWorld, and Decluttr.