Are you interested in a GPS tracker for your kid?
I'm sure you would agree that it's tough to keep an eye on your child at all times.
What about when you have to hire a babysitter or send them off to school? Wouldn't it make you feel more comfortable to know where your child is at any moment, especially when you can't be there to watch them yourself?
This article will outline the best GPS trackers for kids on the market right now. I will discuss what to consider and which features are possible with a GPS tracker for kids.
I will also review the best child GPS trackers for sale to help you make a decision on which one is the best for you and your family.
In This Guide
The Best Kids GPS Trackers: Our Top Picks
MyBuddy Tag Review
- No monthly subscription
- Alerts you when submerged in water
- Most affordable option
- Battery lasts a whole year
- Useful companion app
- Doesn't cover a large area
My Buddy Tag Features
The My Buddy Tag child GPS tracker can be worn like a watch and requires no subscription plan. It uses Bluetooth to connect, so it doesn't cover a huge area. It's also less expensive than any other quality kids GPS tracker. Unlike most other GPS trackers for kids, this will alert you when it's submerged in water, so it can help prevent your child from drowning.
Because it is so affordable, the My Buddy Tag GPS doesn't offer as many features as other best GPS trackers for kids. It does have a panic button and geofencing options, however. The website also offers various color combinations for your child to choose from. You won't have to renew a subscription like most other GPS trackers, but you will need to buy a new tracker tag every year.
- My Buddy Tag App - The My Buddy Tag App is accessible on most Android and iOS devices. It shows the recent location history and the current location of your child. You can track multiple children from the app using its toggle settings. You cannot have two people tracking a child at the same time, however. Although you cannot track at the same time, one person can disconnect from the My Buddy Tag for another person to connect.
- My Buddy Tag Customer Service - The My Buddy Tag portable GPS tracker comes with a one-year warranty. They provide a phone number on their website as well as an FAQ section and a contact form.
- My Buddy Tag Battery Life - The My Buddy Tag GPS battery life lasts a whole year. Since it's waterproof, its battery is not replaceable. They say to contact them if the battery stops working within a year or when you need a new one. It will cost $10 for them to replace it.
AngelSense GPS Tracker Review
- Voice monitoring and tracking functions
- Great customer service
- Great alert and notification settings
- Yearly subscription fee
- No privacy settings
- 12 hour battery
Angel Sense Features
Angel Sense has two GPS trackers for kids with voice-monitoring and tracking. The Angel Sense 1 is smaller and works with AT&T and T-mobile while the Angel Sense 2 works with Verizon. Other than that, they're the same. These child GPS trackers are amazing for children with special needs. Angel Sense listen-in technology lets you hear what's going on with your child throughout the day.
You can also set your Angel Sense GPS Unknown Place alert to send you a text message every time your child enters an unfamiliar location.
Angel Sense GPS trackers 1 and 2 are practical; you can attach them to your child's backpack with a special lock they cannot unlock without the key. Angel Sense cost includes a year's subscription to their tracking services with unlimited text messages and email alerts.
You'll have to renew the subscription once a year is up and it may be expensive; keep that in mind. There are also no privacy settings.
- Angel Sense App - The Angel Sense App works for both Android and iOS users. Download the app on your smartphone or simply go to the http://app.angelsense.com to create an account and log in.
- Angel Sense Customer Service - Unfortunately, Angel Sense's customer service isn't the greatest. They do have a live chat option on their site, but it may be tough to speak with a real human.
- Angel Sense Battery Life - Angel Sense GPS 2 battery life should last over 24 hours, even with continuous monitoring. The GPS 1 only lasts 12-14 hours.
PocketFinder GPS Review
- Geofencing capabilities
- Excellent customer service
- 100-hour battery life
- Built-in SOS button
- Monthly fee and the most expensive option
- No voice-to-voice feature
Pocket Finder Features
Pocket Finder is a 3G GPS tracker that can track your kids wherever they are. It uses three location technologies for tracking. The Pocket Finder GPS child tracker looks like a small plastic keychain and can be attached right to your child's backpack or pocket. The keychain is water resistant up to three feet. There is a monthly fee on top of the hefty price for this product, so it won't be cheap.
Multiple people can track one Pocket Finder simultaneously as well, so both Mom and Dad can feel secure while away from home. You can even set geofencing areas in order to get a notification on your app or online account whenever your child leaves or arrives at a designated location.
The only downside to this GPS tracker for kids is that it doesn't have a voice-to-voice feature so you cannot talk to your child through it. It does, however, have an SOS button for your child to press if they feel like they're in danger.
- Pocket Finder App - Simply go to pocketfinder.com and create an account or download the free iPhone or Android app to pinpoint your child's location at any time of the day with Google Maps. You won't have to worry about Internet privacy threats because this GPS tracker for kids has a military style privacy protection.
- Customer Service - Pocket Finder customer service is known to be extremely helpful. They have a help chat/questions section on their website as well as an email for you to send a message to if you don't find the answers to your questions. Unfortunately, they do not provide a customer service phone number to call if you're having a problem, so you'll have to wait for an email response.
- Pocket Finder Battery Life - The Pocket Finder GPS tracker for kids has a great battery life at over 100 hours. The device turns off when there's no movement in order to preserve battery life. If you're worried about the battery running out, Pocket Finder also has a low-battery alert you can set up to make sure you never run out.
Trax Play Review
- Easy to fit anywhere
- Simple setup
- Cheap service plans
- Not waterproof
- Customer support may be hit-or-miss
- Difficulty in buildings or cities
The Trax Play GPS tracker packs a lot of unique features in a very small, portable device. At an affordable rate, this tracker offers a simple solution to keeping track of your child or pet's location at any time.
From the companion app, you set updates to keep you posted your child's whereabouts every fifteen seconds. With geofencing and designated safe zone technology, you'll also receive notifications whenever your child or pet leaves a location you determine.
A unique feature is the augmented reality mode. Using the companion app, Trax Play's augmented reality ability uses your smartphone's camera to help you locate how far away the tracker is and what direction you need to move in.
The Trax Play is durable and dust resistant, too, able to handle the rigors of a young child or large dog. It's not waterproof though, so stay away from the swimming pool.
The downsides to the Trax Play, however, might be too steep for some. There's no panic button, which could be a liability in the unfortunate scenario that your child is in danger. This may not be as much of an issue, however, if you use this tracker for a pet. Coupled with a short battery life and no way to communicate with your child, you might want to look elsewhere for a GPS Tracker.
Spy Tec STI_GL300 Review
- Cheap service plans
- Battery Power Saver functions
- Perfect for older children and drivers
- Canceling service seems nearly impossible
- No companion app
- Only usable in T-Mobile covered zones
The Spy Tec STI_GL300 has a plethora of features typical of GPS trackers at an affordable rate. It's reliable has an excellent battery life. Powered by a single AA battery, the device can last for up to two weeks before needing a replacement.
Geofencing and text and email notifications are standard for this device, however, the tiered pricing structure might affect your decision. Essentially, the more you're willing to pay the more frequent notifications you can determine: as low as 5-second intervals to be exact. You can also set up alerts to be sent to a list of emergency contacts, and look back in the past 24 hours for a record of your tracker's journey.
There are a number of quirks that come with the Spy Tec, however. There is no companion app for your smartphone, so you'll be stuck navigating to their website each time you want to check on your tracker. The mobile version also appears to be stripped down, lacking the full features the desktop version has. In addition, some customers have reported that tracking may be off at times of up to 30 feet or more. This isn't necessarily a problem when tracking a vehicle, but you'll want a more accurate result for a pet or child.
Key Considerations When Choosing a GPS Tracker
Before you buy the best GPS tracker for kids, you should know which elements differentiate each product. Here are some things to consider.
1. Does the GPS tracker have internet privacy protection?
Internet safety for kids is important. Check to see if your GPS child tracker of choice has some sort of online privacy features you can enable to ensure your child's location isn't being tracked by anyone else. This isn't a necessity, but it is an extra precaution you may want to take.
2. Does the GPS tracker work with my smartphone?
Make sure your GPS tracker for kids is compatible with your smartphone. Most portable GPS trackers are compatible with Android and iOS these days. You should be able to download an application right from your phone.
If you have something besides an Android or iOS smartphone, I would check the FAQs or email tech support to make sure. You should also make sure your best GPS tracker for kids works with your cell phone carrier.
3. How is the battery life?
Battery life is extremely important to consider before buying the best GPS tracker for kids. Does it alert you when the battery is running low? Does the battery last at least one full day? If not, it may not be able to do its job correctly.
4. How big is it?
If your kid's GPS tracker is too big, it may be difficult to make them wear or attach to their clothes. Make sure your GPS child tracker is small enough that your kid won't complain it's there but big enough that it can do its job. For example, some kid GPS trackers actually look just like a watch, so your child might be more inclined to wear it.
5. What features does it have?
Some of the best GPS trackers for kids feature listen in technology, two-way calling capabilities, an SOS or panic button, geofencing to alert you when your child enters or leaves certain areas, and shared locations.
Your child GPS tracker should also be waterproof. Some GPS trackers even have a water alert to alert you if it's submerged in water or your child is drowning.
A child GPS tracker watch with real-time can give you peace of mind when you're not able to be with your child.
Family Locator GPS Tracker
Did you know you can locate your family without buying an extra attachable device? This option is for older children with cell phones and it works just as well. If you have one of the major cell phone carriers like Verizon, you may have an iPhone GPS tracker or an Android GPS tracker option called Family Locator.
The best family GPS tracker service from your cell phone carrier will allow you to locate cell phones of family members to keep track of where they are. With a GPS tracker for Android and iPhone, you can find cell phone locations on an aerial map, monitor when your child leaves or enters designated locations, and get automatic email or text message alerts on their whereabouts. Ask your cell phone provider for more information. You can also download one of the best family GPS tracker apps for quick and easy cell phone tracking.
Family GPS Tracker Apps
Family GPS tracker apps are another option for parents who want to make sure they know where their children are at all times.
Some of the best GPS cell phone tracker apps include:
- Lassy Project
Real-Time GPS Trackers
Real-time tracking means you can track your child or family member as they're moving and receive notifications as events happen via your smartphone app or online account.
If you're really worried about your child getting to and from school, this may be something you look for in a GPS tracker watch for kids. A child GPS tracker watch with real-time can give you peace of mind when you're not able to be with your child.
GPS Car Trackers
You can also put a GPS tracker in the car if you want to track where your child is driving to and from. Simply buy a GPS tracker on Amazon or another one of the best online electronics stores. This is a great way to make sure your child is safe when they first start driving or to keep track of your family members when they're on the road. This way, you won't have to ask if they're going to be late for dinner or wonder where they are.
Here are some of the best trackers made specifically for cars:
- Optimus Real Time GPS Tracker
- Spy Tec GPS Tracker
- Vectu Portable Vehicle Tracker
- MotoSafety OBD Teen Driving Coach Vehicle Monitoring System
- Zubie GPS Tracker
I researched ample GPS trackers for kids to come up with the best GPS devices on the market. Such GPS products included AmbyGear Smartwatch, Weenect Kids GPS, Tinitell, Lineable, Traxplay, and much more. After careful evaluation and analysis of reliability, features, customer service, and battery life, I have decided that the Angel Sense child GPS tracker is the best GPS tracker for kids on the market right now.
Related: Looking for a smartwatch? You should then refer to our buyer's guide for smartwatches.
The Angel Sense GPS has two versions, one for Verizon and one for AT&T and T-mobile. It has an expensive monthly fee, but it is an amazing product made especially for children with special needs. Rest easy knowing you can listen in on your child's day to make sure they're safe and doing well.
You can also check up on their location in real-time every 10 seconds as well as track their bus route and transit speed. If you're willing to spend the money, the Angel Sense is the best kid GPS tracker on the market for you to purchase today. Just make sure you keep it charged up. Also, keep in mind that it doesn't have privacy settings.
The Best Cheap GPS Tracker
If you're looking for a cheaper option with no monthly subscription, I would go with the My Buddy Tag.
It is inexpensive, does a great job tracking location, and will even alert you if it becomes submerged in water. This no-strings-attached GPS child tracker is the most reliable, cheap GPS child tracker out there right now.
Now that you are well-versed in how GPS trackers for kids work and what to consider before you buy, go out and get one! If you're even the least bit worried about your child's whereabouts during the day, the best GPS child tracker will ease your worries in an instant.
Make sure to pay attention to the details and features that will make you feel the most comfortable. You should also look into the best tablets for kids if you're thinking about upgrading your child to a new tablet.
If you want a wearable device for your child that'll help get them outside and encourage exercise, check out the best activity trackers that we've compared.