You may have an older gaming console lying around collecting dust. If you're looking to put some extra cash in your pocket it may be time to sell that console.
You may be wondering where to start and who should you sell your console to. Well, we've got your back with our guide of the best sites to sell your console for cash. We've taken the time to research and compare companies to help you earn the maximum amount possible for your console. Read on if you're planning to sell your gaming console.
Selling Your Console
- Consider the timing of your sale. Console generations usually last anywhere between a few years to a whopping decade (looking at you, PlayStation 3). For the maximum amount of cash possible, you should sell any current generation consoles before the next gen releases. Typically, you should sell your gaming console outside of retail console sales (Black Friday, for instance).
- Back up all of your content! You never know if you will find an Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 in your hands again. It's always a good idea to back up your save data onto the console's cloud or flash drive.
- Wipe your console. You should definitely wipe your console before you sell it. If you don't, your buyer would have not only access to your profile but also potentially your personal and financial information (location, payment information on file, etc.). Usually, you can factory restore your console by entering the settings of that particular console.
- Compare prices on that console. To maximize your profits on your console, you should compare prices among sites in the online marketplace.
Sell Console Online
There are several reasons why you should sell that Wii console or the PlayStation 3 online rather than find places to sell video game consoles near you:
- Validation in Minutes. Validation of the listing on an online marketplace typically takes a few minutes with sufficient identification. Forms of identification include a driver's license, government ID, or a social media profile.
- Make More Money Fast. I know, you could trade in your console for store credit at GameStop, but that could be a huge mistake, as Gamestop tends to offer low returns on your consoles. And you'll get paid within a couple of days after the company or buyer receives your console.
- It's Environmentally Friendly! You're doing your part to help the environment when you choose not to throw that console in the trash. To recycle your console, all you need to do sell it! "But what if it's broken?" you may ask. Fortunately, lots of online sites will take your console, even if it's broken.
- Seller fees - Certain sites - Glyde, for instance - will charge you listing fees, transaction fees, or both. As an example, Glyde will deduct 15 percent from the item's sale price.
- Shipping - Will you or the buyer pay for the shipping of the product?
- Are you selling to the company or directly to an individual? - If you are selling to the company, it is likely that the company will provide you with the shipping equipment necessary to carry your console from point A to point B safely. If you sell directly to the individual, you're 100 percent responsible for the console. Make sure, when you ship, to package the product safely and correctly and purchase insurance if necessary.
- Returns - If you're selling your console to the company, make sure to review that company's policy. If your console doesn't match the description provided by you, the company may either return the product to you or refuse to sell the product, leaving you without payment. The reason for that is that there are so many products flowing into the company that the company doesn't have the capacity to store or return those products.
Sell for Cash Online
- Quick, simple, and effortless process
- Receive payment the day after the items received have been inspected
- Sell items on either the Desktop or the app
- Get free shipping on all items you sell thanks to the provided shipping label
- They reserve the right to not pay you for rejected items- and they will not return the items
- You don't get a huge amount for your items
Decluttr is our top choice for selling video game consoles, offering a free, useful app that turns your device's camera into a barcode scanner to make selling consoles effortless. Decluttr allows you to sell consoles from the PlayStation 2/Xbox generation all the way to the PlayStation 4/Xbox One generation (as well as handhelds).
- Swappa reviews all sellers' products thoroughly
- All payments are received via Paypal in order to protect both the buyer and seller
- There is a seller rating system in place
- It offers excellent customer support
- PayPal is the only method of payment
- There is an expiration date on your listing
- Seller is responsible for device and it's condition until it gets to the buyer
Swappa's main feature is direct selling to the consumer. In other words, you can set the price and connect with the buyer, with Swappa inspecting your console for quality and functionality.
- You can make a lot of cash via Amazon (NOTE: this is despite Amazon charging you a small closing fee, a small listing fee, and a referral fee)
- Add new products to the Amazon catalog.
- Amazon can handle customer service, shipping, and fulfillment with Fulfillment by Amazon service for Amazon.com orders
- Millions of customers can see your product
- Payment fraud protection
- You have to pay to sell on Amazon
Amazon, the world's largest online marketplace, is a great option if you have a console you want to get rid of. Depending on the console, you can either sell it directly to the consumer or trade it in.
Better yet, if you have a rare console, you may be able to get a decent chunk of change out of it - the God of War Bundle 1TB PlayStation 4 Pro, with an MSRP of $400, is (at the time of this writing) valued at $500 or more, depending on the condition.
More Ways to Save Money
You can save more money by selling not just consoles but also CDs, DVDs, Blu-Rays, laptops and Macbooks, video games, iPads, and tablets. To save on home space and rack up a few extra dollars, check out our guides on where to sell the following:
Selling your console is great when you want to make some extra cash and tidy up the home. However, you should take the time to sell your device online for cash rather than trade it in.
To maximize your profits on your console, compare prices at online marketplaces like Swappa, Amazon, Glyde, BuyBackWorld, and Decluttr.