DIRECTV Now is one of the many live TV streaming services available to those who want to part ways with cable.
Stiff competition is good for consumers like us looking for the best deal, and DIRECTV Now has plenty of it - like Amazon Prime Video and Sling TV.
Compare Now: DIRECTV Now Plans & Packages
According to the Pew Research Center, 61% of consumers ages 18 to 29 primarily watch TV through streaming services via the internet. That's a big deal - and it makes sense, considering the advantages streaming offers over cable TV.
But which one(s) should you choose? Will you be happy with the DIRECTV Now channels offered with their plans? What about pricing? Read on to see if DIRECTV Now is a good fit for you.
Table of Contents
Key Considerations When Choosing a Streaming Service
As we said, there are a lot of streaming services out there. Before you decide on the best streaming TV provider, give the following factors some thought:
- Price range - Each streaming service is priced differently depending upon the content. Price also varies according to whether the service is independent or part of a cable or satellite company. If you're looking for streaming on the cheaper side we recommend looking at Hulu or Netflix.
- Content - Each streaming service has different packages. Some are stronger on movies while others focus on TV series or sports. Be sure to check the channel selection before you commit.
- Discounts - The typical target audience for these services is the young adult set. If you're a college student you may qualify for a discount with certain providers. Streaming providers also frequently offer a free trial in order to entice you to try their service.
- Internet speed: Netflix recommends a minimum 5 Mbps internet connection to stream in HD. If you're going to have multiple people streaming at once you'll want high speed internet. 25 Mbps is a good starting point for heavy users who want to avoid buffering issues. Need fast internet? Check out the best internet service providers.
If you're considering multiple TV streaming services, which many people do, make sure you're getting all of the shows and movies you want without paying more than you'd pay for those things in one cable TV or satellite TV package.
DIRECTV Now Plans
DIRECTV Now packages, each of which gives you a popular channel lineup with top choices such as Hallmark Channel, Food Network, Comedy Central, and ESPN. Watch live or on-demand.
The best part about these packages - they give you a well-rounded mix of channels and progress in a logical way from the lowest tier to the highest.
- Every plan includes local channels (something lacking from many streaming services).
- Sports coverage gets better and better as you go up in tiers.
- Go Big gives you extra news and sports, plus the FX Movie channel.
- Gotta Have It adds extras like Boomerang and the Starz Encore collection.
In a bit of an odd twist, Hallmark Movies & Mysteries only comes with the base package (the Live a Little package).
Check out what each plan has to offer in our DIRECTV Now channel guide.
DIRECTV Now Pricing
DIRECTV Now offers a little bit different viewing experience in that it's almost like streaming cable. You get a large channel selection - including local networks - and more package options than most streaming providers.
Plus, as you'll see in the next section, you can add on premium channels at a discounted rate. This flexibility is what makes DIRECTV one of the best streaming TV providers available today.
DIRECTV Now provides some cool features, like:
- Multi-Screen Viewing - View simultaneously on up to two screens or pay a little extra per month to view on 3 simultaneous streams.
- DIRECTV Now Extras - You can add on any of the following packages: HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, STARZ, DIRECTV Now Deportes, or DIRECTV Now Espanol.
- Extra Cloud Storage: You can buy additional storage for all your favorite content (for a modest extra monthly fee). The service's True Cloud DVR comes with 20 hours of complimentary storage. Content erases after 30 days.
DIRECTV Now Sports
DIRECTV Now streaming is a great choice for sports fans. You get a good variety of regional as well as national sports channels.
- Live A Little - ESPN, ESPN2, and Fox Sports 1
- Just Right - ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNews, ESPN U, Fox Sports 1, MLB Network, and NFL Network
- Go Big - ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNews, ESPN U, Fox Sports 1, Fox Sports 2, Golf Channel, MLB Network, NBA TV, NFL Network, and NHL Network
- Gotta Have It - ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNews, ESPN U, Fox Sports 1, Fox Sports 2, Golf Channel, MLB Network, NBA TV, NFL Network, and NHL Network
- Todo Y Mas - ESPN, Fox Deportes, and Fox Sports 1
You can also get NFL Sunday Ticket (every out-of-market Sunday game) on DIRECTV Now at an extra monthly charge. So far it's only available in specific markets but should be expanding over time.
You'll need equipment to load the DIRECTV Now app onto. You should be all set if you have one of the following compatible devices:
- Amazon Fire TV stick
- Apple TV (or Apple TV 4K)
- Google Chromecast
- Roku device or Roku TV
- Samsung Smart TV
- Personal electronics like computer, laptop, tablet, or smartphone
A couple of notes on the True Cloud DVR: you can't record on-demand content, and you can't pad your recordings. This means if a show or event runs over the scheduled time you may not catch all of it on your recording.
Benefits of Streaming TV Service
There's a lot to love about this entertainment option:
- Big savings: According to Fortune, consulting firm cg42 has found that cord cutters save money to the tune of an average of $85 per month by switching to internet TV. That's $1000 a year - no chump change!
- Flexibility: You are in control of your content - not the cable company. You can pick and choose the service providers that carry the TV shows and movies you care about.
- No costly installation: Streaming is DIY, allowing you to avoid a complicated and often expensive cable installation process. And no cable box to deal with!
- No contracts or cancellation penalties: If you decide you no longer want the service, you just cancel it. A monthly subscription means you aren't tied to a contract.
If you're in the market for the best TV service, streaming is tough to beat.
DIRECTV Now is an ideal way to cut the cord if you're looking for the channel surfing experience that's similar to traditional cable and satellite TV, without the high prices.
Bottom line: Yes, it's a little more expensive than other streaming providers, but it also offers a decent variety of the most common channels and content you get with the best cable TV providers.
Not sure? Read what others have to say in our DIRECTV Now customer reviews.
Want to compare local options? We make it easy to find TV providers in your area!
Compare Now: DIRECTV Now Plans & Packages