Thinking of switching to AT&T? You probably have a lot of questions. What plans are available? How much will it cost you? Can you keep your own phone?
Fortunately, it's easy to find affordable AT&T bring your own phone (BYOP) plans. The best part is you don't have to pay AT&T prices to get a great plan that fits your needs and runs on this carrier's reliable nationwide 4G LTE network.
Thanks to Mobile Virtual Network Operators (MVNOs) you're no longer stuck with the limited options offered by the big four major carriers (AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon Wireless, and Sprint). You can choose your own plan options, paying only for the talk, texts, and data amount you really need.
Read on to learn more about the best MVNOs and how to bring your own phone to a cheaper cell phone plan.
The Best AT&T BYOP Plans of January 2020
AT&T vs h2o Wireless Price Comparison
Keep your AT&T phone, number & coverage: Save $576 per year
|Carrier||Network Coverage||4G LTE Data||Price||Annual Cost|
|AT&T||AT&T 4G LTE||Unltd*||$75/mo||$900/yr|
|h2o Wireless||AT&T 4G LTE||5GB||$27/mo||$324/yr|
|*Don't waste money on unlimited data - Avg. data usage is only 3-5GB||Savings||$48/mo||$576/yr|
Keep Your AT&T Phone and Number and Switch to a Cheaper Plan
Switching is easier than you think.
- Pick a carrier. The best provider for you will be the one with the features and plans that fit your wireless needs and your budget.
- Check to see if your phone is compatible. You can easily check compatibility on carrier websites. For the AT&T network, you'll need a GSM phone. GSM devices are phones designed for use on the AT&T and T-Mobile networks, while CDMA phones are made for the Verizon and Sprint networks.
- Sign up and order a SIM card kit. Bringing your own phone is as easy and ordering your SIM card activation kit and popping it in.
Benefits of AT&T MVNOs
MVNOs are smaller carriers that buy space on the large networks and sell it to you at cheaper prices. Most of these mobile providers operate solely online, which means they don't have the high costs of overhead and marketing that the big guys have.
There are a ton of advantages to switching to an AT&T MVNO:
- The same reliable service you know and love on one of America's largest wireless networks.
- Cheap rates - typically more than 50% off on your monthly plan.
- No contracts or credit checks - switch whenever you want.
- Custom plans - only pay for what you need.
- BYOP and keep your phone number.
- Highly rated customer service.
- Easy online signup.
Best Cheap AT&T BYOP Plan
Red Pocket 1GB - $15/mo
|Network||AT&T, T-Mobile, Verzion, Sprint|
|Data Speed||4G LTE|
|3G Network||CDMA & GSM|
|Bring Your Phone||Yes|
|Keep Your Number||Yes|
|Contract||No - prepaid|
|International Calls||Yes - Includes 70 countries|
|Money Back Guarantee||Yes - 14 days|
Best AT&T Light Data BYOP Plan
PureTalk 3GB - $19/mo
Best AT&T Average Data BYOP Plan
H2O Mobile 5GB - $27/mo
Best AT&T Unlimited Data BYOP Plan
Pure Talk Unlimited - $41/mo
AT&T National 4G LTE Coverage Without AT&T Prices
Best Overall AT&T BYOP Plan: PureTalk USA
- Good plan selection
- Unlimited talk and text with all plans
- Unlimited 2G data
- Clean, user-friendly website
- Competitive pricing
- Multi-line discount
- No unlimited data plan
- International calling requires add-on calling card
When You Do Upgrade: Consider a Refurbished AT&T Phone
Just because the term is "bring your own phone" doesn't mean you have to bring your current phone. If you're looking for an upgrade there's an option that's much cheaper than committing to $30 a month in device payments through a major carrier.
For about half the price of a new smartphone, you can buy a used or refurbished device in great condition. Plus, you're not tied to any specific carrier. Switch up whenever you want.
- Used vs. refurbished: Used phones are sold as-is, while refurbished devices are repaired and restored before being listed for sale.
- Warranties: Some sellers offer a warranty on their devices for extra protection.
- Shipping: You'll find that most reputable phone sites cover the cost of shipping on your purchase.
- Return policy: The return period is typically up to 30 days. Some sellers offer free return shipping as well.
- Certified pre-owned: These phones are typically the higher-end flagship Apple and Samsung Galaxy devices. They undergo thorough inspection and testing before being listed for sale.
- Insurance: Yes, you can buy cell phone insurance for a used smartphone, usually through a third party provider.
- Device payments: We strongly recommend against used phone financing. It's a much better choice, in the long run, to pay outright for your device if possible.
Save Even More - Sell Your Old Phone
Need some cold hard cash to put toward that new phone? Don't let your old phone sit around wasting space. It's easy and fast to sell it, without the hassle of hunting down buyers yourself.
MoneySavingPro makes selling your phone a breeze. Compare offers from reputable buyers in seconds. All you have to do is follow your chosen buyer site's instructions for shipping your phone off and then you'll get paid. Some sites will even pay your postage!
BYOP is a crucial part of the best strategy to save money on your cell phone plan.
- Save hundreds by bringing your own phone to your next carrier.
- Sign up with an AT&T MVNO and save up to 50% or more on your cell phone plan.
- Compare prices on refurbished smartphones to save half on your next device.
- Sell your smartphone for cash - it's easy, fast, and puts more money back in your pocket!
Find out how much you could be saving in three simple steps with our cell phone savings calculator.