Bring Your Own Phone to the Verizon network
BYOP - or bring your own phone - is a great way to save money on your cell phone bill.
Owning your own device gives you the freedom to choose your carrier without being tied to one provider because of phone payments. It also lets you get the most life out of your smartphone instead of discarding it for a new one just because you switch carriers.
If you love the Verizon Wireless network but not their high prices, I have more good news. You can avoid those expensive mobile service rates without giving up the quality and reliability of the Verizon Wireless network by choosing a Verizon MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator).
MVNOs are smaller wireless carriers that buy usage on the big four networks and resell it, typically at a deep discount. These carriers have low overhead since most of them only operate online. This means they can afford to give you lower prices on the same service you already know and love.
Ready to learn more about Verizon BYOP plans at lower prices? Let's get started.
Verizon vs US Mobile Price Comparison
Keep your Verizon phone, number & coverage: Save $480 per year
|Carrier||Network Coverage||4G LTE Data||Price||Annual Cost|
|Verizon||Verizon 4G LTE||Unltd*||$80/mo||$960/yr|
|US Mobile||Verizon 4G LTE||Unltd||$40/mo||$480/yr|
|*Don't waste money on unlimited data - Avg. data usage is only 3-5GB||Savings||$40/mo||$480/yr|
Keep Your Verizon Phone & Number & Switch to a Cheaper Plan
As for the actual process of bringing your device to a Verizon network carrier, it's pretty easy to do.
- Pick a carrier. We'll go into some of the best providers in a minute. You'll want to shop for a carrier with the plan that fits your needs and your budget. That might mean an unlimited data plan, or maybe you need international calling. There's something for everyone.
- Check device compatibility. Verizon is a CDMA network. It's the fussiest of the four major networks in terms of compatible phones, so you'll need to check on your carrier's website to verify that your CDMA phone will work. If you already own a Verizon iPhone or Android phone you're in good shape.
- Order a SIM card/activation kit. This is the easiest part. Once you've received your SIM card you just pop it in and follow your provider's activation instructions.
In most cases your service plan and SIM card will be plug-and-play, meaning it will start working as soon you put the card into your phone and activate your account. In some instances, however, you might need to change your APN settings. You should also learn how to unlock your phone from your previous carrier.
Benefits of Verizon MVNOs
The low prices aren't the only benefits of going with an alternative wireless carrier:
- Service on the top-ranked 4G LTE network (RootMetrics)
- Savings of up to 50% over the major carriers
- No-contract plans with no credit checks or early termination fees
- Customized plans so you only pay for what you need
- BYOP and keep your phone number
- Extensive customer service hours
- Simple and fast online signup
Cheapest Verizon 1GB BYOP Plan
Ting - 500 Mins & 1GB Data* $20 Off for 6 Months
- Very flexible plans
- Great for light users
- Known for great customer service
- Multi-line plans
This Ting plan includes 500 minutes, 1,000 texts and 1GB of 4G LTE data for $16* per month.
Ting is powered by the nationwide Sprint, T-Mobile, and Verizon 4G LTE Network. Ting offers byop plans with no contract, fees or credit check. Choose a customized plan based on your usage and upgrade or downgrade anytime.
Ting allows you to turn your phone into a hotspot with free tethering. You can bring your own phone to Ting and keep your phone number. Ting is compatible with most GSM & CDMA unlocked phones. Check Phone Compatibility
Ting includes international calling, VoLTE and Wi-Fi Calling. Ting plans automatically renew every 30 days with monthly billing and can be canceled at any time. Ting offers 24/7 customer service.
Cheapest Verizon 3GB BYOP Plan
Reach Mobile - 3GB Data* $15 Off for 3 Months
- Good pricing for lower data users
- Unlimited talk and text
- Unlimited data plan available
- User-friendly website and app
- Mobile hotspot permitted
- 24/7 customer support
- No credit check
This Reach Mobile plan includes unlimited minutes, unlimited texts and 3GB of 4G LTE data for $20* per month.
Reach Mobile is powered by the nationwide Verizon 4G LTE Network. Reach Mobile offers byop plans with no contract, fees or credit check. Choose a customized plan based on your usage and upgrade or downgrade anytime.
Reach Mobile allows you to turn your phone into a hotspot with free tethering. You can bring your own phone to Reach Mobile and keep your phone number. Reach Mobile is compatible with most unlocked phones. Check Phone Compatibility
Reach Mobile includes international calling, VoLTE and Wi-Fi Calling. Reach Mobile plans automatically renew every 30 days with monthly billing and can be canceled at any time. Reach Mobile offers 24/7 customer service.
Cheapest Verizon 5GB BYOP Plan
Twigby - 5GB Data* 25% Off for 6 Months
- Affordable pricing
- 25% off first 6 months
- Free unlimited global texting
This Twigby plan includes unlimited minutes, unlimited texts and 5GB of 4G LTE data for $18.75* per month.
Twigby is powered by the nationwide Verizon & Sprint 4G LTE Network. Twigby offers byop plans with no contract, fees or credit check. Choose a customized plan based on your usage and upgrade or downgrade anytime.
Twigby allows you to turn your phone into a hotspot with free tethering. You can bring your own phone to Twigby and keep your phone number. Twigby is compatible with most CDMA unlocked phones. Check Phone Compatibility
Twigby includes international calling, VoLTE and Wi-Fi Calling. Twigby plans automatically renew every 30 days with monthly billing and can be canceled at any time. Twigby offers 24/7 customer service.
Cheapest Verizon BYOP Unlimited Plan
US Mobile - Unlimited DataFree Starter Kit with code: MSPUSM
- 99% of phones are compatible
- Super flexible, customizable plans
- Unlimited data plan option
- Three data speed choices
- Dashboard that allows you to see the whole family's mobile usage
This US Mobile plan includes unlimited minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited of 4G LTE data for $40 per month.
US Mobile is powered by the nationwide Verizon & T-Mobile 4G LTE Network. US Mobile offers byop plans with no contract, fees or credit check. Choose a customized plan based on your usage and upgrade or downgrade anytime.
US Mobile allows you to turn your phone into a hotspot with free tethering. You can bring your own phone to US Mobile and keep your phone number. US Mobile is compatible with most GSM unlocked phones. Check Phone Compatibility
US Mobile includes international calling, VoLTE and Wi-Fi Calling. US Mobile plans automatically renew every 30 days with monthly billing and can be canceled at any time. US Mobile offers 24/7 customer service.
When You Do Upgrade: Consider Buying a Refurbished Verizon Phone
You'll need to own your phone outright in order to BYOP to your new plan. Obviously the cheapest cell phone solution is to keep your current device.
If you don't want to bring your current phone, you don't have to pay $1000 just for the latest iPhone. You can get a sleek smartphone a generation or two old at half the MSRP when you buy refurbished or used.
Refurbished Phone Benefits
Aside from saving half on your cell phone, buying used is smart for several reasons.
- Changes to new phone models are usually very minor.
- Prices are rising, with some breaking the $1000 barrier.
- Third-party phone repair shops make it easy and cheap to get your device fixed.
- Reputable phone sellers offer protections like generous return policies and even warranties.
There are some things to keep in mind when you're shopping for the best deal on a used smartphone.
- Used vs. refurbished: A used phone is sold as-is. A refurbished device usually comes with any issues repaired, like a cracked screen replaced, etc. The memory is wiped clean and reset to factory defaults.
- Return policy: Most sites give you some time - typically seven to 30 days - to return your device if you're not happy with it.
- Warranties: The most generous protection is offered by Decluttr, which provides a one-year limited phone warranty. Most sites provide a 30-day warranty.
- Certified pre-owned phones: There are a couple of phone sellers that put their devices through rigorous testing in order to sell them as certified. This gives you an extra measure of quality assurance.
- Shipping: Most sellers cover the postage when you make a purchase.
- Insurance: You can buy cell phone insurance for used devices through third-party companies.
- Phone financing: Generally the device payments offered on used phones come at a high interest rate. Try to avoid this option if possible.
At MoneySavingPro we give you the tools to find a great device at the best price in just seconds. Shop used Verizon phones and find the perfect smartphone to bring to your new carrier.
There you have it, a solid strategy for saving a bundle on your wireless service:
- Avoid expensive phone payments when you bring your own phone.
- Use a Verizon MVNO to get the same coverage without the high prices.
- Buy a refurbished smartphone to save 50% on your upgrade.
- Sell your old phone for cash.
Not sure what size Verizon bring your own phone plan you need? Figure it out in seconds with our data usage calculator!