Cheap home phone service in 2021
You may think that traditional landlines are a thing of the past but they still offer plenty of benefits. Plus, home phone service is cheaper than ever.
Landlines are secure and provide great call quality. They also come in handy in case of a problem with your cell phone.
Why should you get home phone service and how much will it cost? Keep reading to find out everything you need to know about cheap landline phone service.
Cheap landline benefits
Home phones provide a surprisingly comprehensive set of advantages:
- Crystal clear sound: Landlines give you unbeatable call quality and zero dropped calls.
- Accuracy in emergencies: It's easier for 911 to locate you on a landline because they get a precise address, even if you can't talk.
- Reliability: A hard-wired connection is always on, giving you peace of mind in these uncertain times.
- Home security compatibility: Security systems typically rely upon a home phone connection to contact your security company or the police if there's a problem.
- International calling: You can get great affordable international calling plan options through your landline provider.
- Savings by bundling services: Cable TV and internet providers offer packages that make home phone service super cheap.
What companies offer landline services?
|Armstrong Home Phone||Unlimited||$9.99|
Armstrong provides landlines, along with TV and internet, primarily in a handful of rural areas.
|AT&T Phone Unlimited||Unlimited||$19.99|
Get great prices, especially by bundling with TV, internet, and cell phone service. AT&T phone service also offers solid international calling options.
|CenturyLink Unlimited Nationwide Calling||Unlimited||$60|
Choose from local or nationwide calling plans, plus reduced rates to certain countries. You can also bundle CenturyLink landline with TV and/or internet, including fiber internet.
This former Ma Bell company serves Cincinnati and the surrounding areas. Cincinnati Bell offer landline deals along with the choice to bundle with cable TV and internet.
|Cox Voice Premier||Unlimited||$29.99|
Cox provides landlines via a digital IP-based network. No internet is required, although you can bundle with internet and TV if you want. Cox also offers a couple of unique options like medical alert monitoring and home security.
Frontier offers the choice of VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol), which gives you calling over the internet, or digital home phone service. Buy alone or packaged with TV and internet.
|Mediacom Xtream Home Phone||Unlimited||$29.99|
Mediacom phone service does not run through a traditional landline, so it won't work if the power goes out. They do have great international plans, however, and TV/internet bundles.
Get hooked up through your existing jacks and bundle with TV and high-speed internet if desired. Access and manage your Optimum landline through your mobile phone.
|Sparklight Standard Phone||Unlimited||$25|
This digital home phone provider used to be known as Cable ONE. Sparklight offers cheap local calling plans, no contracts, and a lifetime price guarantee option. You can also bundle with Sparklight TV and high-speed internet.
|Spectrum Voice + Internet Ultra||Unlimited||$39.98|
Owned by Charter Communications, Spectrum phone service is available alone or with cable TV and high-speed internet. Spectrum landlines don't require a contract and offer cheap international calling options.
Suddenlink and Optimum are both owned by Altice, thus are similar in their offerings. Connect through your current phone jacks and manage everything via your cell phone.
|Verizon FiOS Fios Home Phone||Unlimited||$20|
Verizon phone service runs on the company's fiber optics network. Choose per minute rates or unlimited local and nationwide calling. And of course, you can bundle with Fios internet and TV.
|Windstream Unlimited Phone + Kinetic Internet||Unlimited||$47|
Kinetic by Windstream is a traditional landline that you can purchase separately or bundle with internet and TV. Enjoy unlimited local and nationwide calling.
|Xfinity Unlimited Calling Nationwide||Unlimited||$20|
Comcast Xfinity delivers home phone via VoIP - or Voice over Internet Protocol. They have a strong international calls offering and you can manage your home phone on the go through you wireless phone.
Cheap landline phone plans for seniors
Access to a home phone is crucial for senior citizens in case of emergency and to stay in contact with friends and family.
Cheap landline service for seniors is available for low-income customers via the Lifeline program through the federal government. Providers like AT&T participate in this program, which makes it easy to apply.
You should also check with your home phone provider to see if they offer discounts to older customers. For example, AARP members often get reduced rates on phone bills through certain companies.
Seniors may also want to consider VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) via services like Magic Jack or Ooma. These options are very affordable and easy to use.
Cheap landline services without Internet
It can be a bit of a challenge to find the cheapest landline phone service on its own. Landlines typically come as an optional add-on with TV and internet packages.
There are few providers that offer a phone line as a standalone. You'll just need to do a little research to find out which ones serve your area.
Providers that sell cheap landline services without internet include:
- Verizon Fios
Cheap home phone and Internet
The best way to save money on home phone service is to get it bundled with internet and/or cable TV services. You'll typically see cheap cable and internet packages offered under names like "double play" (internet and TV) or "triple play" (internet, TV, and home phone).
Depending on your provider you may save anywhere from about 10% to 50% by bundling. Compare TV, internet and phone bundle deals carefully and make sure you read the fine print.
Landline phone features
The most important thing aside from the reliability of your connection is that you get the home phone features you want and need.
Popular landline features include:
- Call-ID and call waiting caller ID: These are typically automatic with most landlines. See who's calling before you answer.
- Call forwarding: Get your home phone calls forwarded to your cell phone or another landline.
- Call blocking: Choose which numbers you want to prevent from calling your phone.
- Call return (*69): Automatically dials the last number that called you.
- Speed dial: Put your most frequently called numbers on speed dial.
- Do not disturb: Need some uninterrupted time? Put your phone line on do not disturb.
- Three-way calling: Perfect for those conference calls or family phone time.
- Anonymous call rejects: Block calls from hidden phone numbers.
- Assigned ringtones: Give phone numbers specific calling tones so you know who it is as soon as it rings.
The cheapest way to keep a phone number
What if you want to keep your landline phone number but not your landline? No problem - you've got a couple of options that allow you to continue receiving calls on your home phone number.
- Landline forwarding: With this option, you pay a modest fee each month to have all your home phone calls sent to your mobile phone. Your landline number must be eligible for you to go with this option.
- Landline transfer: Transferring your home phone number to a cell phone allows you to use your old landline number to do everything you need to do on your mobile - text, call, etc.
While you will pay a small fee for these services, they allow you to replace your landline without having to change your phone number.
Cheap cell phone plans
We live in a time when communication is vital - but landlines definitely aren't. A cheap cell phone plan is a great alternative to home phone service.
The best way to save money on your mobile phone service is by going with a low-cost provider called an MVNO - or Mobile Virtual Network Operator. These smaller cell phone providers run on the same networks as the big four wireless companies. The only difference is that they charge less than the big guys.
We make it easy to compare cell phone plans so you can find the best replacement for your landline. You'll save up to 50% off your wireless bill, plus ditch your home phone bill in the bargain.
When it comes to finding the cheapest landline phone service there are plenty of options. You can go with a traditional landline on its own, bundle your home phone service with internet and TV, or forego the home phone altogether and choose a cheap cell phone plan.
When making your decision about the best home phone service consider the benefits of a landline - like reliability and call quality - as well as the features you want. You'll also need to think about whether you want to save money with a package from internet and TV providers.
Finally, quickly and easily see what's available near you by using our handy tool to locate landline phone providers in your area!