MoneySavingPro independently researches the products & services to bring you our recommendations. We may earn money when you click our links - disclosure policy.
In today's digital world, having reliable internet access is an absolute necessity for many tasks, including work, education, and healthcare. However, the digital divide can be all too real for those facing financial challenges.
The good news is that there's assistance available in the form of the federal Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP). This program is designed to help low-income households afford broadband service.
Below, we'll do a deep dive into the details of the ACP and how you can get discounted or free wireless service.
What is the Metro by T-Mobile Affordable Connectivity Program?
In 2021, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) introduced the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) as a means to provide affordable internet access to low-income households.
Metro by T-Mobile is an ACP participating provider, which means you can use your benefit on a cell phone plan (as long as it comes with data).
Here's what you'll gain if you're eligible:
- Up to a $30 monthly discount on a cell phone plan
- Up to a $75 monthly discount for those residing in qualifying Tribal lands
You can receive one discount per household, which is defined as individuals living at the same address and sharing expenses and income.
Metro by T-Mobile ACP eligibility
ACP eligibility is income-based, and there are many ways to qualify.
You may be eligible if:
- your household income falls at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.
Or, you or a household member participate in certain assistance programs, including:
- SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program)
- SSI (Supplemental Security Income)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance
- Free or reduced-price school lunch program (including the USDA Community Eligibility Provision)
- Federal Pell Grant in the current award year
There are also Tribal-specific programs that automatically qualify a household, such as:
- Tribal assistance programs
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
- Tribal TANF
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations
For a comprehensive breakdown of eligibility criteria, consult our guide. Do you qualify for ACP?
If you reside in qualifying Tribal lands, learn more about the enhanced Tribal benefit to see if you could receive a monthly service discount of up to $75 for eligible consumers.
Metro by T-Mobile ACP plans
You can use your Affordable Connectivity Program benefit on any Metro by T-Mobile plan:
- 5GB of high-speed data - free with ACP & AutoPay
- Unlimited data plan with MLS Season Pass & ViX Premium - around $10/month
- Unlimited plan with above features, plus 8GB of hotspot data - around $20/month
All Metro by T-Mobile plans come with T-Mobile Tuesday perks.
Other Affordable Connectivity Plan options
Not finding anything suitable among Metro by T-Mobile plans? No worries - other MVNOs also participate with the ACP, giving you options if you need something different.
Here's a look at some other options from participating providers:
Red Pocket Mobile ACP plans
- 1GB, 5GB, or 20GB of high-speed data, all free with ACP
- An unlimited data plan for around $10/month with the benefit
- Free global international calling
- Free roaming in Canada & Mexico
Even better, Red Pocket Mobile participates in the ACP device discount, offering eligible households a tablet for a nominal cost.
Find out more about this carrier in our detailed Red Pocket Mobile review.
Boost Mobile ACP plans
- 5GB of high-speed data - free with benefit
- Unlimited data plan with 12GB of mobile hotspot data - around $10/month
- Unlimited Plus plan with 30GB of hotspot data - around $30/month
For added convenience, you can choose your Boost Mobile plan and apply online.
Benefits of MVNOs
Transitioning to a budget-friendly carrier to leverage your ACP benefit offers a plethora of advantages:
- No contracts
- Available perks like mobile hotspot data usage
- Bring your own phone & keep your number
- Flexibility to switch carriers anytime
Even if you don't meet the eligibility criteria for this federal government program, switching to a low-cost carrier is a financially savvy move. You could potentially save up to $700 annually on your wireless bill.
How to apply for the Metro by T-Mobile ACP
Applying for the ACP is a straightforward process:
- Visit Get Internet and click on the Apply button.
- Follow the instructions to complete the National Verifier application.
- Once approved, log into or create your Metro by T-Mobile account.
- Choose your plan.
- Fill out the Metro by T-Mobile ACP application in your account.
Metro by T-Mobile will send you a text message confirming your enrollment status. You should see your discount on your next billing cycle.
For more information on the application process, including the documents you might need to provide, consult our detailed guide on how to apply for ACP.
Metro by T-Mobile ACP FAQs
The Metro by T-Mobile Affordable Connectivity Program allows you to lower your cell phone bill and stay connected with the services you need.
If you prefer, you can leverage your ACP benefit with other participating MVNOs. Or, if you're not approved, you can switch carriers anyway to save money.
Take action now to find out if you could save more money on your internet access.