Landline Phone Service Providers in Houston, TXWhat home phone companies are available in your area?
Ooma home phone
Windstream home phone
Spectrum home phone
Verizon FiOS home phone
AT&T home phone
CenturyLink home phone
Sparklight home phone
Xfinity home phone
MoneySavingPro independently researches the products & services to bring you our recommendations. We may earn money when you click our links - disclosure policy.
Are you looking for the best landline phone service in Houston, TX? You are not alone!
Over 95 million people in the US are still using a landline for their home phone service. However, with so many providers on the market, choosing the best home phone provider can feel a bit overwhelming.
You'll learn all about the top landline providers including the different types of landlines, features, call quality, customer service, and more.
Whatever you need from your landline provider in Texas, keep reading to find the best phone service.
Best home phone service plans in Houston
Best home phone plans in Houston, TX
|Provider||Plan Name||Calls||Equipment Cost||Monthly Price|
|Ooma||Telo||Unlimited||$99.99||$0/mo||View Plan30 Day Risk-Free Trial - $99.99 equipment fee|
|Ooma||Telo Air||Unlimited||$119.99||$0/mo||View Plan30 Day Risk-Free Trial - $119.99 equipment fee|
|Ooma||Telo LTE with Backup||Unlimited||$129.99||$19.99/mo||View Plan30 Day Risk-Free Trial - $129.99 equipment fee|
|Community Phone||Unlimited landline service||Unlimited||$99||$39/mo||View PlanCoverage Guarantee - $99 equipment fee|
Landline phone service features
A landline service offers a number of features. These can vary depending on the landline network provider and package but common features include;
- Caller ID: Not just a feature for cell phones. You can get caller ID on your landline too.
- Three-way calling: This is great for group calls with family or friends.
- Call waiting: Be alerted if someone is trying to call you while you're on another call.
- Speed dial: There's no need to memorize phone numbers, dial a number in an instant.
- Call blocking: Reject or block unwanted calls from unwelcome numbers. It is also referred to as anonymous call rejection and is ideal to avoid telemarketing calls.
- Landline texting: Not available with all providers, but some offer the option of a landline texting feature.
- Voicemail-to-text transcription: This feature isn't offered with all providers, but some offer the option to have your voice messages sent to your email in text format.
- Unlimited calling: If you like spending hours on the phone, some providers offer unlimited calling which can also be unlimited nationwide calling.
- Long-distance calling: If you've got family and friends abroad check out providers that offer international calling with their plans.
You can often save a few dollars off your monthly costs by eliminating some of these calling features that you may not use. Remember that the best landline service for you may not always have all the most popular calling features.
Home phone benefits
- Reliability: Not relying on a wireless signal means landline connections can provide better reliability as they don't rely on a wireless connection and aren't affected by network congestion or dead zones.
- Sound quality: Landlines typically have better sound quality than cellular phones, which can be especially important for people with hearing difficulties or for business calls.
- Emergency: If there's a power outage, you're still able to use a landline (if you've got a cordless phone, that's charged). Using a landline in an emergency to call 911 can help responders see your location, as a landline phone number is associated with a specific address.
- Rural areas: Unlike cell phones, you're not relying on a cellular signal to be able to make phone calls. Landlines can still work in rural locations.
- Security: Landlines are generally considered more secure than cellular phones and less likely to be hacked or intercepted.
What types of home phone services are available in Houston?
There are three main types of landline service: traditional copper-wire phone service, Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), and wireless.
Wireless landline uses cell towers to connect calls, eliminating the need for physical connections like wires. You can get wireless landline service, and even keep the types of landline phones you are accustomed to, but with the benefits of a cell phone!
Wireless landline benefits
- Mobility: Wireless home networks allow devices such as smartphones, tablets, and laptops to connect to the internet without the need for physical cables.
- Convenience: They can eliminate the need for running cables through walls or under floors, making it easy to set up and move devices around your home.
- Cost: Often less expensive to install and maintain than wired networks, especially if you're renting a house or apartment.
- Scalability: Wireless landlines are easily scalable, making it easy to add or remove devices as needed.
- Multiple device connections: They allow multiple devices to connect to the internet simultaneously.
- Flexibility: You can expand your wireless network to cover a larger area by adding additional wireless access points.
- Compatibility: Wireless home networks are compatible with a selection of devices, including smartphones, tablets, laptops, and smart home devices.
- Security: Easily secured with a password or encryption to protect against unauthorized access.
VoIP home phone
VoIP home phone service is a newer type of landline service that uses the internet to connect your phone to the telephone network. Some of us have actually switched from a hard-wired analog system to a VoIP home service provider without even knowing it!
- Cost: VoIP is generally less expensive than traditional landline phone service, as it uses an internet connection to make calls.
- Mobility: It allows users to make and receive calls from anywhere with an internet connection, making it ideal for remote workers or those who travel frequently.
- Scalability: VoIP's easily scalable, making it easy to add or remove phone lines as needed.
- Features: Offering a wide range of features, such as voicemail, caller ID, call forwarding, and more.
- Integration: VoIP phone service can be integrated with other business systems, like CRM software, to provide a seamless user experience.
- Flexibility: You can customize your VoIP service to meet the specific needs of a business, such as call routing and call queues.
- Quality: With the advance in technology, the call and voice quality of VoIP has improved significantly, and it is comparable to traditional phone service.
Traditional copper-wire phone service is the most common type of landline service in the US. This is the good ole "Ma Bell" system (as in the Bell System named after Alexander Graham Bell for you millennials) that has existed in the US for decades.
This type of service uses a physical telephone line to connect your home or business to the telephone network. Copper-wire phone service is typically provided by local phone companies and is regulated by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).
Comparing home phone service in Houston
There're a few things to check before choosing your home phone provider:
- Coverage: Home phone providers vary, depending on where you live. So it's important to check coverage and what providers are available in your area.
- Features: Before choosing your landline phone package you'll want to know what features you need. Things like call waiting, call forwarding, and voicemail-to-text are not always available or may cost extra.
- Cost: How much do you want to spend on your landline service? There are plenty of options available for all budgets and needs.
- Customer reviews: Make sure to check out reviews on the provider to see what current customers are saying.
Cheap landline for seniors in Houston, TX
Many landline providers offer discounts or special plans for seniors. These plans may include lower monthly rates, free or discounted long-distance calls, caller ID, and other features that can meet the needs of seniors.
The Government's Lifeline program offers phone service discounts to eligible low-income customers, including seniors. The program is available in most states, and eligible customers can receive a discount on their landline or cell phone service.
Home phone provider stores in Houston
|6027 Kirby Drive, Unit 16, Houston, TX 77005|
|5514 Weslayan St, Unit 16, Houston, TX 77005|
|2625 Louisiana St, Ste E, Houston, TX 77006|
|920 Studemont, Ste 700, Houston, TX 77007|
|1919 Taylor Street, Ste. A, Houston, TX 77007|
|2802 N Shepherd Rd, Ste 100, Houston, TX 77008|
|1533 N Shepherd Dr, Ste 140, Houston, TX 77008|
|13706 East Fwy, Ste 400, Houston, TX 77015|
|8452 Gulf Fwy, Suite D, Houston, TX 77017|
|4400 North Freeway, Suite A1000, Houston, TX 77022|
|8412 Katy Freeway, Suite 400, Houston, TX 77024|
|790 W. Sam Houston Pkwy. N, Ste. 106, Houston, TX 77024|
|7811 Main Street, Suite A, Houston, TX 77030|
|11410 Gulf Frwy, Ste 200, Houston, TX 77034|
|10701 North Freeway, Ste T, Houston, TX 77037|
|13722 Northwest Freeway, # 18, Houston, TX 77040|
|14303 E Sam Houston, Suite 600, Houston, TX 77044|
|15419 - A Wallisville Rd, Ste 400, Houston, TX 77049|
|1018 Gessner Rd, Suite B, Houston, TX 77055|
|5661 Westheimer Road, Ste 110, Houston, TX 77056|
|4920 San Felipe, Suite B, Houston, TX 77056|
|6539 Woodway Dr, Suite G, Houston, TX 77057|
|3330 Hillcroft St, Suite G, Houston, TX 77057|
|1052 E Nasa Pkwy, Ste A, Houston, TX 77058|
|9527B Westheimer Rd, Spc 09, Houston, TX 77063|
|8350 Westheimer Rd, Suite G, Houston, TX 77063|
|9211 West Rd, #107, Houston, TX 77064|
|12020 FM 1960 Rd W, Suite 1000, Houston, TX 77065|
|13141 FM 1960 West, Ste 100, Houston, TX 77065|
|5503 FM 1960 Road W, #1544, Houston, TX 77069|
|2000 Willowbrook Mall, #1544, Houston, TX 77070|
|22521 Tomball Parkway, Ste. 105, Houston, TX 77070|
|7911 FM 1960 Rd W, Suite D, Houston, TX 77070|
|7560 W Bellfort Ave, Suite 500, Houston, TX 77071|
|10100 Beechnut St, Inside Heb, Houston, TX 77072|
|11209 Bellaire Blvd, C-10, Houston, TX 77072|
|3040 FM 1960 East, Suite 153, Houston, TX 77073|
|6906 Southwest Freerway, Suite 100, Houston, TX 77074|
|448 W Little York Rd, Suite A1000, Houston, TX 77076|
|11805 Westheimer Road, Suite 350, Houston, TX 77077|
|13341 Westheimer Rd, Suite 350, Houston, TX 77077|
|6221 Bellaire Blvd, Ste B, Houston, TX 77081|
|5409 Rice Ave, Ste 110, Houston, TX 77081|
|14418 Bellaire Blvd, Ste C, Houston, TX 77083|
|9319 Highway 6 S, Ste C, Houston, TX 77083|
|6595 Hwy 6 North, Ste 100, Houston, TX 77084|
|4827 Hwy 6 N, Ste 900, Houston, TX 77084|
|12430 Tomball Parkway, Ste T, Houston, TX 77086|
|180 Gulfgate Center, Suite D, Houston, TX 77087|
|11200 Fuqua St, Ste 200, Houston, TX 77089|
|1830 FM 1960 Rd W, #A, Houston, TX 77090|
|348 FM 1960 Rd W, #A, Houston, TX 77090|
|10650 Northwest Freeway, Suite 400, Houston, TX 77092|
|19959 Katy Freeway, Ste 900, Houston, TX 77094|
|232 Meyerland Plaza, Ste B, Houston, TX 77096|
|2621 S Shepherd Dr, 143, Houston, TX 77098|
|9380 W Sam Houston Pkwy S, Suite 500, Houston, TX 77099|
|5600 Kirby Drive, Houston, TX 77005|
|1901 Taylor Street, Houston, TX 77007|
|15375 Wallisville Road, Houston, TX 77049|
|9930 Katy Freeway, Houston, TX 77055|
|2616 S Voss Rd, Houston, TX 77057|
|2000 Willowbrook Dr, Houston, TX 77070|
|12602 Westheimer, Houston, TX 77077|
|6888 Gulf Fwy, Houston, TX 77087|
|Verizon FiOS stores|
|930 MAIN STREET, Ste 101, HOUSTON, TX 77002|
|215 Heights Blvd, Houston, TX 77007|
|13740 I-10 East Fwy, Ste A, Houston, TX 77015|
|3004 Yale St, ste 100, Houston, TX 77018|
|4400f North Fwy, Ste 400, Houston, TX 77022|
|9431 Katy Fwy, Houston, TX 77024|
|600 W Sam Houston Pkwy N, Ste 720, Houston, TX 77024|
|3825 Bellaire Blvd, Houston, TX 77025|
|8505 S Main St, Ste 340, Houston, TX 77025|
|3817 Southwest Fwy, Houston, TX 77027|
|10900 GULF FREEWAY, Ste E, HOUSTON, TX 77034|
|10721 North Freeway, Houston, TX 77037|
|13818 Northwest Fwy, Houston, TX 77040|
|14309 E Sam Houston Pkwy N, Ste 100, Houston, TX 77044|
|1051 Silber Rd, Houston, TX 77055|
|1700 Post Oak Blvd, 2 BLVD Place Suite 110, Houston, TX 77056|
|5848 WESTHEIMER ROAD, HOUSTON, TX 77057|
|3351 CLEAR LAKE CITY BOULEVARD, Ste 600, HOUSTON, TX 77059|
|8401 WESTHEIMER ROAD, Bldg A, HOUSTON, TX 77063|
|9105 W Sam Houston Pkwy N, Ste 400, Houston, TX 77064|
|12620 FM 1960 W, Ste A2, HOUSTON, TX 77065|
|6470 Fm 1960 Rd W, Houston, TX 77069|
|134 VINTAGE PARK BOULEVARD, Ste C, HOUSTON, TX 77070|
|17903 State Highway 249, Houston, TX 77070|
|11700 Westheimer Rd, Houston, TX 77077|
|2202 GESSNER, HOUSTON, TX 77080|
|2673 SOUTH HIGHWAY 6, HOUSTON, TX 77082|
|1122 Fry RD, Houston, TX 77084|
|1440 Gulfgate Center Mall, Houston, TX 77087|
|10501 Pearland Pkwy, Ste C, Houston, TX 77089|
|15749 Fm 529 Rd, Houston, TX 77095|
|4676 BEECHNUT, HOUSTON, TX 77096|
|2071 Westheimer Rd, Houston, TX 77098|
Houston, TX landline phone service FAQs
What is the cheapest home phone plan in Houston, TX?
Ooma offers the cheapest home phone plan in Houston. Ooma home phone is available for $0.00 per month, where you only pay the initial equipment cost plus fees and taxes.
What is the best landline phone service available in Houston, TX?
Ooma currently offers the best value home phone service in Houston, with plans ranging from $0.00-$19.99 per month.
Can I get a landline without internet in Houston, TX?
Yes, landline without internet is available in Houston from Ooma and Community Phone.
What does landline cost in Houston, TX?
The cost of home phone service in Houston starts at $0 per month with Ooma, where you pay for the initial equipment plus fees and taxes.
Are traditional landlines still available in Houston, TX?
Traditional landline is still available in Houston but only when bundled with internet service, which can cost in excess of $60 per month.
In 2021, it was recorded that there are still 97 million landlines in the US.
The best comes down to budget and your home phone needs, but there are plenty of ways to save money on your home phone service.
Taking advantage of promotions, discounts, and deals, and cutting down on unnecessary features can help you cut costs. You can also bundle your landline service with cable tv service and high-speed internet.
Making sure to compare providers available in your area and check customer reviews to find the best home phone service provider for you.