AT&T cell phone plans are numerous, but unfortunately, the features and terms of service are a little confusing for the consumer - in other words, you and me. What do we know about plans and pricing?
As consumers, we can all pretty much agree on two things about the "big four", typically offers big coverage at big prices.
We also want clear-cut and simple-to-digest information that will help us decide on the best plan for our needs.
We can assure you that we have all the important details here, to help you gauge whether or not AT&T is a worthy contender, with its 133.3 million customer base, for your hard-earned dollar.
The Best AT&T Cell Phone Plans of February 2020
Before diving into the rabbit hole of carriers be sure you know what you want out of a carrier. It will make deciding much easier. Ask yourself:
- Does the AT&T network cover the area you live in?
- How much data do you need each month?
- Will you bring your own phone (BYOP) or will you need one?
- Do you need a single-line plan or a family plan?
- Is there an AT&T MVNO (mobile virtual network operator) that will give you a better price? (Don't worry we'll explain later in the article.)
Best Cheap AT&T Phone Plan
h2o Wireless 1GB - $10/mo
Best AT&T Light Data Phone Plan
PureTalk 3GB - $19/mo
Best AT&T Average Data Phone Plan
Red Pocket 7GB - $30/mo
|Network||AT&T, T-Mobile, Verzion, Sprint|
|Data Speed||4G LTE|
|3G Network||CDMA & GSM|
|Bring Your Phone||Yes|
|Keep Your Number||Yes|
|Contract||No - prepaid|
|International Calls||Yes - Includes 70 countries|
|Money Back Guarantee||Yes - 14 days|
Best AT&T Unlimited Data Plan
Pure Talk Unlimited - $41/mo
AT&T National 4G LTE Coverage Without AT&T Prices
Best Overall AT&T Phone Plan: PureTalk USA
- Good plan selection
- Unlimited talk and text with all plans
- Unlimited 2G data
- Clean, user-friendly website
- No unlimited data plan
- International calling requires add-on calling card
Keep Your AT&T Coverage, Pay Less
If you want that great AT&T coverage but can't justify the price you're in luck! You still have plenty of options with AT&T MVNOs.
That's right, with an AT&T MVNO you can enjoy the saver AT&T 4G LTE coverage as every AT&T customer but at a half the price.
AT&T vs h2o Wireless Price Comparison
Keep your AT&T phone, number & coverage: Save $555 per year
|Carrier||Network Coverage||4G LTE Data||Price||Annual Cost|
|AT&T||AT&T 4G LTE||Unltd*||$75/mo||$900/yr|
|h2o Wireless||AT&T 4G LTE||5GB||$30/mo||$345/yr|
|*Don't waste money on unlimited data - Avg. data usage is only 3-5GB||Savings||$45/mo||$555/yr|
MVNOs buy service in bulk from the big four networks and resell it to consumers at a lower cost.
They're able to do so because they don't spend the millions of dollars in advertising per year like the big four and they also don't have a lot of brick-and-mortars to run which saves them A LOT of money. In fact, a lot of them operate solely online.
Comparing AT&T Plans
Interested in seeing how their other plans compare? Check out our guides to:
AT&T Phone Deals
With AT&T you get all the same great phone options as the other three major carriers. You can:
- Bring your own phone –AT&T operates on the GSM network so you'll have the best luck bringing your own phone if you're switching from T-Mobile. If you do, you'll just want to change the APN settings (an easy process) and you should make sure your device is unlocked.
- Buy a new phone – AT&T offers a wide selection of phones both in-store and online. But don't forget, if you choose to make monthly payments on your device your bill will go up.
- Buy a refurbished phone -You'll save the most money - up to 50% off retail - by shopping for compatible AT&T refurbished phones. Compare prices and features on all your favorite Apple iPhone and Samsung Galaxy from reputable sellers.
If you choose to BYOP or buy refurbished you can get your AT&T SIM card either online or in-store.
AT&T plans some of the priciest out there. But you can save money multiple ways.
- Don't overpay for data - check out our data usage calculator to see what you should be paying for. Always compare cell phone plans before making a decison.
- Save even more money on your AT&T bill by purchasing a refurbished phone instead of overpaying for a new phone.
- If you choose to buy refurbished, it's well worth selling your old device for cash.
You can check out our AT&T user reviews to see what real customers are feeling about the carriers.