Is AT&T a CDMA or GSM network?
GSM stands for Global System for Mobile Communications. GSM and CDMA are the 2 types of 3G networks that cell phone carriers use to provide your service.
In the past, you couldn't use a CDMA network's phone on the GSM network and vice versa. However, most newer smartphones can operate on either type of service.
Some older phones can as well, just make sure you research your specific device to find out whether it's compatible with both before buying a cell phone plan.
AT&T GSM network carriers
If you're shopping around for a new carrier, consider MVNOs - Mobile Virtual Network Operators. These are smaller mobile providers that rent space on the same networks the big guys use and then sell it to you at a lower price.
AT&T vs H2O Wireless comparison
Keep your AT&T phone, number & coverage: Save $540 per year
|Carrier||Network Coverage||4G/5G Data||Price||Annual Cost|
|AT&T||AT&T 4G & 5G||Unltd*||$75/mo||$900/yr|
|H2O Wireless||AT&T 4G & 5G||6GB||$30/mo||$360/yr|
|*Don't waste money on unlimited data - Avg. data usage is only 3-5GB||Savings||$45/mo||$540/yr|
AT&T GSM low-cost carrier benefits
- Get the same great service: You get cell phone service on the very same networks the major providers use.
- Save over half: MVNO plans typically save you 50% or more over the big three carriers.
- Custom plans: Only pay for what you actually need and use.
- No contracts or credit checks: No commitment and everyone is welcome!
- Keep your phone: Most MVNOs are BYOP (bring your own phone) - keep your device and your number.
AT&T GSM carrier plans
|Boost Mobile 5GB plan||5GB||$5** 66% Off for 3 Months|
|Good2Go Mobile 6GB plan||6GB||$15** 50% Off for 3 Months|
|Unreal Mobile 12GB plan||12GB||$20** Buy 2 Months Get 1 Free|
|Boost Mobile unlimited data plan||Unltd||$25|
|Red Pocket 100GB plan||100GB||$50|
AT&T GSM unlocked phones
You can also save a bundle on your smartphone by purchasing a used or refurbished GSM phone to go with your new plan.
Bring your own AT&T GSM phone to a cheaper carrier
- Save half or more off retail: For less than half the price you can get a smartphone model just a year or two old.
- It's a great value: Most model years only see minor tweaks to existing smartphone designs. Get a steal of a deal without sacrificing the features you love.
- Keep your freedom: Buying your phone outright means you can leave your carrier any time you want - like when you find a cheaper cell phone plan.
AT&T GSM companies list
|Red Pocket Mobile||AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon|
|Straight Talk||AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon|
|TracFone||AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon|
|Consumer Cellular||AT&T, T-Mobile|
|Net10||AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon|