A home phone may not be as prominent in households compared to the past, but this useful device still exists, especially in business settings. Referring to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's National Health Interview Survey held in December of 2015 (as reported by Digital Times), about 41 percent of households used both landlines and mobile phones.
After all, landlines offer a variety of benefits, including clear voice calling and potentially better reception for mobile phones.
A home phone offers enhanced security and actually can improve your cell reception. So should you consider AT&T as your home phone provider? With a little analysis of the service, you'll be able to formulate your own conclusion.
Read More: Looking for VoIP service? If that's the case, refer to our "Best VoIP Services" review.
AT&T Home Phone
AT&T offers several types of home phone plans, including:
- Digital Home Phone
- Traditional Home Phone Plans
- Long Distance Plans
- Wireless Home Phone
That being said, the Digital Home Phone tab on the official site directs to a promotional page for the DirecTV and AT&T wireless, which are not the focus of this review.
Nevertheless, AT&T offers home phone plans and the necessary equipment to satisfy your needs.
AT&T Phone Plans
|U-Family TV+ Internet Basic 6+ Phone Unlimited||Unlimited||$89.99|
|U-300 TV+ Internet 18+ Phone Unlimited||Unlimited||$124.99|
|U-200 TV+ Internet 18+ Phone Unlimited||Unlimited||$199.99|
Let's delve a bit deeper into the available plans, beginning with the traditional home phone service. However, it's first important to note that with us, you can check AT&T's availability by ZIP code and compare plans.
1. Traditional Home Phone Service
It's important to first emphasize that AT&T's traditional home phone service includes unlimited local calling. There are a few plans to choose from:
- Consumer's Choice Plus - This plan gives you not only unlimited local calling but a choice of two custom calling features. Examples of calling features are Call Waiting or Caller ID Block.
- Complete Choice Enhanced - This value-based plan offers unlimited local calling and between eight and twelve calling features. However, Connecticut customers will receive an access line and 10 calling features, including Privacy Manager.
- All Distance Package - This is the most expensive package but it includes unlimited local and nationwide long-distance calling, as well as 11 popular calling features such as Three-Way Calling, Caller ID, and more.
- Of course, you can save more with AT&T's other local phone services:
- Measured Rate Home Phone - This is the lowest rate offered by AT&T, which provides the phone user with local calling at a reasonable rate. Furthermore, Measured Rate service rates vary depending on the service area.
- Standard Home Phone Service - This plan, while a little more expensive than the Consumer's Choice Plus plan, provides the owner with unlimited local calling and popular calling features including: Caller ID, Call Waiting, Call Return, Call Forwarding, Three-Way Calling, Speed Calling 8, Call Blocker, Priority Call, and Privacy Manager.
2. AT&T Wireless Home Phone
AT&T Wireless Home Phone is a low-cost alternative to traditional home phone service. The AT&T Wireless Home Phone service utilizes a mobile device to give you home phone service at a cheaper monthly price.
If you're in an area with a strong AT&T wireless signal, all you need to do is set up your Wireless Home Phone device and that's it! You'll receive unlimited nationwide calling and features including call waiting, caller number ID, voicemail, three-way calling, and call forwarding for your phone.
You'll be able to obtain an AT&T Wireless Home Phone device for free with a two-year contract. As the icing on the cake, you can take your device anywhere you'd like.
Read More: Looking for AT&T's wireless cell phone plans instead? We have you covered here.
3. Long Distance Plans
AT&T offers three domestic long distance home phone plans:
- AT&T One Rate Nationwide Direct 10¢ - You pay one simple rate, plus 10 cents per minute.
- AT&T Nationwide calling 120 Direct - With this plan, you'll receive 120 minutes of nationwide calling each month. Every minute after the limit is 10 cents.
- AT&T Unlimited Plus - You'll receive unlimited nationwide calling.
Lifeline was also a tab listed, but it leads to an unavailable page. Upon further investigation, it appears that AT&T opted out of the Lifeline program. According to Fortune, the program struggled with "inefficiency and fraudulent claims in the past as unscrupulous resellers signed up ineligible people or signed individuals up for multiple accounts and took a cut of the subsidies."
AT&T Phone and Internet
Oddly enough, AT&T doesn't exactly offer many bundles for phone and the Internet. In fact, AT&T's bundles seem to revolve around TV. With that being said, there are a couple of bundles that you can choose from that do fall under the Internet and phone bundle category.
Read More: You can learn more about Internet and phone bundling with our guide here.
AT&T Internet and Phone Bundle
AT&T offers a couple types of Internet and phone bundles: AT&T Wireless Home Phone and Internet and Home Phone Plus Internet. There is one other bundle to consider as well, but it includes TV: Build My Own DirecTV Bundle. However, you need to be in an area that is eligible for the service.
AT&T Internet and Phone Deals and Plans
AT&T offers the Home Phone Plus Internet bundle for an inexpensive fee. Not only will you receive 3Mbps Internet, but you'll also be able to utilize unlimited local calling with features that include Caller ID, Call Waiting, Call Return, Call Forwarding, Three-Way Calling, Speed Calling 8, Call Blocker, Priority Call, and Privacy Manager.
However, there may be a limit to the Internet service. For instance, the Internet price currently includes 150GB of data per month. After you exceed that amount, you will be charged $10 per 50GB of data used. However, the price offered is a promotional price, which is set to expire.
The other option? AT&T Wireless Home Phone & Internet. You can always own this device, which comes with an internal antenna and offers 4G LTE for Internet access that is accessible by up to 10 Wi-Fi devices. You will also receive wireless unlimited nationwide home phone calling. The home phone calling also includes the following features: caller number ID, voicemail, call waiting, and more.
You can receive this device for free with a two-year contract, though you will have to pay a monthly fee.
In total, AT&T Phone offers over 20 calling features - more than most competitors - including:
- All Call Forwarding
- Busy Call Forwarding
- Exclusive Call Forwarding
- No Answer Call Forwarding
- Safe Call Forwarding
- Call Blocking
- Anonymous Call Blocking
- Call Screening
- Do Not Disturb
- Caller ID
- Caller ID Blocking
- Caller ID Blocking (single call)
- Caller ID on TV (must subscribe to U-verse TV)
- Call Waiting
- Cancel Call Waiting (all calls)
- Cancel Call Waiting (single call)
- Cancel Call Waiting (mid-call)
- Call Trace
- Directory Assistance Blocking
- International Call Blocking
- Locate Me
- Three-way Calling
AT&T International Calling
Yes, AT&T offers international calling. According to the Long Distance Home Phone Service page, AT&T offers three types of international plans:
- AT&T Worldwide Occasional Calling - After a small monthly fee, you'll pay low international per minute rates to over 220 countries.
- AT&T Unlimited Canada Plan - Self-explanatory, but you'll be able to make an unlimited amount of calls to Canada. That being said, you'll also receive discounted rates to other countries.
- AT&T Asiasaver Value - You'll have a total of 60 direct-dialed anytime minutes that can be used to make calls to China, Hong Kong, India, Japan, and more. You'll also receive discounted rates to other countries.
With AT&T, you can select from a variety of home phone plans. In general, these plans are quite affordable and feature a vast array of calling features. However, as far as bundles go, AT&T doesn't seem to offer many Internet and phone bundles. Furthermore, there is no unlimited international calling to any country but Canada. Additionally, you will be charged for installation fees and provided equipment. If you don't mind any of these issues, then you should consider AT&T.
Additionally, you will be charged for installation fees and provided equipment. If you don't mind any of these issues, then you should consider AT&T.
Interested in what the other providers offer for home phone services? Then please take the time to read our review on the best home phone service. Furthermore, if you're interested in AT&T's other services, you can take a moment to browse the AT&T U-Verse TV packages and AT&T Internet plans.