A home phone may not be as prominent in households compared to the past, but this useful device still exists, especially when it comes to small business settings.
After all, landlines offer a variety of benefits you may not be aware of, including reliable call quality and potentially better reception than mobile phones. An AT&T home phone plan offers solid service with great bonus features at a fair price. Home phones may not be as popular anymore, but for those who still rely on landlines, you can't go wrong with AT&T.
In this guide, I am here to tell you all about AT&T home telephone service plans. I will break down what AT&T has to offer and what you might want to think about before making a purchase.
In This Guide
Compare AT&T Home Phone Plans
About 41 percent of households still used both landlines and cell phones as of December 2015, according to a survey from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported by Digital Times.
|U-Family TV+ Internet Basic 6+ Phone Unlimited||Unlimited||$89.99|
|U-300 TV+ Internet 18+ Phone Unlimited||Unlimited||$124.99|
|U-200 TV+ Internet 18+ Phone Unlimited||Unlimited||$199.99|
AT&T offers several types of home telephone service plans, including:
- Digital Home Phone
- Traditional Home Phone Plans and plans for small business customers
- Long-Distance Call Plans
- Wireless Telephone Services
That being said, the Digital Home Phone tab on the official site directs to a promotional page for the DirecTV satellite service and AT&T wireless, which are not the focus of this review.
Nevertheless, AT&T offers home phone monthly plans and the necessary equipment to satisfy your needs.
Read More: Looking for VoIP service? If that's the case, refer to buyer's guide to VoIP service.
Let's delve a bit deeper into the available monthly plans, beginning with the traditional home phone service. However, it's first important to note that with us, you can check AT&T's availability by ZIP code and compare plans.
1. Traditional Home Phone Service
It's important to first emphasize that AT&T's traditional home phone service includes unlimited local calling for homeowners and small business customers. You can check out the buyer's guide to phone systems for businesses for rankings, comparison, and analysis of some of the best phones in the market.
Additionally, if you have DSL Internet service, you need to make sure to contact your provider before switching your number; otherwise, it could interfere with your DSL Internet service connection. There are a few home phone service plans to choose from:
- Consumer's Choice Plus - This calling plan gives you not only unlimited local calling but a choice of two custom call features. Examples of calling features are Call Waiting or Caller ID Block.
- Complete Choice Enhanced - The Complete Choice Enhanced plan is a value-based plan offering unlimited local calling and between eight and twelve call features. However, Connecticut customers will receive an access line and 10 call features, including Privacy Manager.
- All Distance Package - This is the most expensive AT&T home phone bill package. It includes unlimited local and nationwide long-distance calls, as well as 11 popular calling features such as Three-Way Calling, Caller ID, and more.
Of course, you can save more with AT&T's other local phone services:
- Measured Rate Home Phone - This plan offers the lowest AT&T home phone bill rate available. It provides the phone user with local calling at a reasonable rate. Furthermore, Measured Rate service rates vary depending on the service area.
- Standard Home Phone Service - This plan, while a little more expensive than the Consumer's Choice Plus plan, provides the owner with unlimited local calling and popular calling features including Caller ID, Call Waiting, Call Return, Call Forwarding, Three-Way Calling, Speed Calling 8, Call Blocker, Priority Call, and Privacy Manager.
2. Wireless Home Phone
AT&T Wireless Telephone Services are a low-cost alternative to traditional home phone service. The AT&T Wireless Home Phone service utilizes a mobile device to give you home phone service at a cheaper monthly price.
If you're in an area with a strong AT&T wireless signal, all you need to do is set up your Wireless Home Phone device and that's it! You'll receive unlimited nationwide calling and features including call waiting, caller phone number ID, voice mail, three-way calling, and call forwarding for your phone.
You'll be able to obtain a free phone for your home from AT&T Wireless for free with a two-year contract. As the icing on the cake, you can take your device anywhere you'd like.
Read More: Looking for AT&T wireless cell phones and plans instead? We have you covered here.
3. Long Distance Plans
AT&T offers three domestic long-distance call plans:
- AT&T One Rate Nationwide Direct 10¢ - You pay one simple rate, plus 10 cents per minute.
- AT&T Nationwide calling 120 Direct - With this plan, you'll receive 120 minutes of nationwide calling each month. Every minute after the limit is 10 cents.
- AT&T Unlimited Plus - You'll receive unlimited nationwide calling.
4. Lifeline Program
The Lifeline Program was also a tab listed, but it leads to an unavailable page.
Upon further investigation, it appears that AT&T opted out of the Lifeline program. According to Fortune, the program struggled with "inefficiency and fraudulent claims in the past as unscrupulous resellers signed up ineligible people or signed individuals up for multiple accounts and took a cut of the subsidies."
In total, AT&T Phone offers over 20 calling features - more than most competitors - including:
- All Call Forwarding
- Busy Call Forwarding
- Exclusive Call Forwarding
- No Answer Call Forwarding
- Safe Call Forwarding
- Call Blocking
- Anonymous Call Blocking
- Call Screening
- Do Not Disturb
- Caller ID
- Caller ID Blocking
- Caller ID Blocking (single call)
- Caller ID on TV (must subscribe to U-verse TV service)
- Call Waiting
- Cancel Call Waiting (all calls)
- Cancel Call Waiting (single call)
- Cancel Call Waiting (mid-call)
- Call Trace
- Directory Assistance Blocking
- International Call Blocking
- Locate Me
- Three-way Calling
If you ever have any questions about home phones, you can call an AT&T representative at their toll-free number: 1-(800)-288-2020.
Yes, AT&T offers international calling along with international calling rates. According to the Long Distance Home Phone Service page, AT&T offers three types of international calling plans:
- AT&T Worldwide Occasional Calling - After a small monthly fee on your phone bill, you'll pay low international calling rates per minute to over 220 countries.
- AT&T Unlimited Canada Plan - Self-explanatory, but you'll be able to make an unlimited amount of long-distance calls to Canada. That being said, you'll also receive discounted rates to other countries.
- AT&T Asiasaver Value - You'll have a total of 60 direct-dialed anytime minutes that can be used to make calls to China, Hong Kong, India, Japan, and more. You'll also receive discounted International calling rates to other countries.
Home Phone and Internet Bundles
Oddly enough, AT&T doesn't exactly offer many bundles for phone and the Internet. In fact, AT&T's bundles seem to revolve around TV service. You can, however, bundle cable or satellite service with home Internet and home phone service for a decent price.
With that being said, there are a couple of bundles that you can choose from that do fall under the Internet and phone bundle category. You can find the fastest Internet in your area here.
Read More: You can learn more about Internet and phone bundling with our buyer's guide to bundling.
AT&T Internet and Phone Bundle
AT&T offers a couple types of Internet and phone bundles: AT&T Wireless Home Phone and Internet and Home Phone Plus Internet. There is one other bundle to consider as well, but it includes TV: Build My Own DirecTV Bundle. However, you need to be in an area that is eligible for the service.
AT&T Internet and Phone Deals and Plans
AT&T offers the Home Phone Plus Internet bundle for an inexpensive fee. Not only will you receive 3Mbps of high-speed Internet, but you'll also be able to utilize unlimited local calling with features that include Caller ID, Call Waiting, Call Return, Call Forwarding, Three-Way Calling, Speed Calling 8, Call Blocker, Priority Call, and Privacy Manager.
However, there may be a limit to the high-speed Internet service. For instance, the Internet price currently includes 150GB of data per month. After you exceed that amount, you will be charged $10 per 50GB of data used. However, the price offered is a promotional price, which is set to expire. After the first year, your bill will likely go up.
The other option? AT&T Wireless Home Phone & Internet. This plan provides a free home phone with an internal antenna and 4G LTE capabilities for Internet access that is accessible from up to 10 Wi-Fi devices. With this plan, you will also receive wireless unlimited nationwide home phone calling. The home phone calling also includes the following features: caller phone number ID, voice mail, call waiting, and more.
You can only get the free phone if you sign up for a two-year contract, though you will have to pay a monthly fee on your phone bill. Additionally, you should always watch out for price hikes after the first year.
Home Phone Taxes and Fees
AT&T does add federal, state, and local taxes to your phone bill based on rates determined by the law. Federal, state and local tax laws include:
- Federal Universal Service Charge
- State Universal Service Charge
- Regulatory Cost Recovery Charge
- Sales and Use Taxes
The taxes you end up paying will depend on your location, the type of tax, and the taxing authority, according to AT&T support.
With AT&T home phone service plans, you can select from a variety of plans with better call quality than your cell phone. In general, these plans are quite affordable and feature a vast array of calling features. However, as far as bundles go, AT&T doesn't seem to offer many Internet and phone bundles.
Furthermore, there is no unlimited international calling to any country but Canada. Additionally, you will be charged for installation fees and provided equipment. If you don't mind any of these issues, then you should consider AT&T.
Additionally, you will be charged for installation fees and provided equipment. If you don't mind any of these issues, then you should consider AT&T. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to call an AT&T representative at their toll-free number: 1-(800)-288-2020.
Interested in what the other providers offer for home phone services? Then please take the time to read buyer's guide to home phone service for rankings, comparisons, and a more in-depth analysis.