Xfinity Affordable Connectivity Program
MoneySavingPro independently researches the products & services to bring you our recommendations. We may earn money when you click our links - disclosure policy.
Internet access is a necessity in today's world. Yet, with rates rising all the time, many people find themselves struggling to pay their internet or cell phone bills.
Fortunately, the Xfinity Affordable Connectivity Program can help you get discounted or even free internet service.
Let's take a look at what the Xfinity ACP consists of and who is eligible to receive this benefit.
What is the Xfinity Affordable Connectivity Program?
The FCC's Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) plays a vital role in ensuring families can afford internet access for tasks like work, education, and healthcare.
Xfinity is a participating provider in the ACP, allowing you to benefit from discounted internet and mobile services.
Xfinity ACP benefits
Eligible households can receive the following through Xfinity's ACP:
- Up to $30 off your monthly internet or cell phone bill
- Up to $75 off internet or phone service if you live in qualifying Tribal lands
It's important to note that each qualifying household is entitled to one monthly discount.
Xfinity Affordable Connectivity Program plans
You can apply your Xfinity ACP benefit to almost any internet or Xfinity Mobile plan the company offers.
Because pricing varies by location, you'll want to check current Xfinity offers in your area. This participating provider offers a wide range of internet and phone service packages, meaning you can customize your Xfinity ACP plan based on how much you can afford.
Free Xfinity internet plan
One of the major benefits of using the Xfinity ACP is that you can get internet service at no cost if you stack your ACP with their Xfinity Internet Essentials plan.
Xfinity Internet Essentials is a special program designed for low-income customers to help expand high-speed internet access across the digital divide.
There are two Internet Essentials plans to choose from:
- Internet Essentials: 50Mbps ($9.95 without ACP)
- Internet Essentials Plus: 100Mbps ($29.95 without ACP)
Both plans are available at no charge for Internet Essentials customers if eligible for the Affordable Connectivity Program. Plus, you get free equipment, no credit checks, and no contracts.
Xfinity Mobile ACP plans
Xfinity Mobile offers 4G LTE and 5G wireless coverage on the Verizon network.
Xfinity ACP phone plan options include:
- 1GB of high-speed data per month - free with ACP
- Unlimited data plans - pricing between around $10 and $35 per month with ACP
As mentioned, the Xfinity Affordable Connectivity Program benefit is limited to one discount per household. That means you'll receive one discount of $30 per month ($75 for eligible Tribal lands residents), regardless of how many lines you purchase.
How to qualify for the Xfinity ACP
Eligibility for the ACP through Xfinity primarily hinges on income-based criteria.
You can qualify through various means:
- Household income at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines
Or if at least one household member participates in one or more certain government assistance programs:
- Received Federal Pell Grant in the current award year
- Meets the criteria for an existing low-cost internet plan offered by a participating provider
- Free or reduced-price school lunch or breakfast programs
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Federal housing aid
- Special housing programs for Native communities
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Veterans Pension or Survivor Benefits
- Lifeline program.
Additionally, if you participate in any of the listed programs and reside in qualifying Tribal lands, you may still be eligible:
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
- Tribal TANF
- Food Distribution on Indian Reservations
- Income-based Tribal Head Start.
Learn more about how to receive the increased ACP discount in our guide to the enhanced Tribal benefit.
How to apply for Xfinity ACP
This provider makes it super simple to apply for the benefit by providing an application form online right through their website:
- Visit the Xfinity ACP enrollment page.
- Click Apply Now under the situation that applies to you - current customer, new customer, etc.
- Follow the step-by-step instructions to complete the application process.
You may need to provide documentation proving your identity and your participation in a government assistance program. See how to apply for ACP for complete details.
Once you've received approval, you'll see your ACP credit applied to your next bill (or the one after that, in rare cases).
What if you don't qualify for the ACP?
If you don't meet the ACP eligibility criteria, you can still save on internet access through your cell phone plan by switching to a prepaid cell phone plan from an MVNO. This switch could save you up to $700 annually on your wireless bill.
- Cost savings - half or less than major carriers
- No contracts
- Quality coverage on trusted networks
- Wide range of plans, from unlimited talk & text to unlimited data plans
When you opt for a low-cost carrier, you can choose from service on any of the major networks - AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon - and pay way less than you are now.
Compare cell phone plans now to see how much money you could save over your current carrier.
Affordable Connectivity Program FAQs
The Affordable Connectivity Program provides much-needed financial assistance to both new and existing customers in qualified households.
Whether you're looking for free or low-cost Xfinity Internet or Xfinity Mobile services, the ACP offers a variety of pathways to eligibility, ensuring a swift and straightforward application process.
If you don't meet the eligibility criteria, consider switching to a low-cost carrier to save hundreds annually on your cell phone plan.