Looking for a great wireless plan that doesn't tie you down? You have more options than you might think in terms of no contract phone plans.
Due to growing competition in the wireless industry prices are better than ever - and best of all, these amazing deals come with no commitments. I'm going to show you to save 50% on your mobile phone service without giving up the quality and network coverage that you're used to.
In This Guide
- Key Factors to Consider When Choosing a No Contract Cell Phone Plan
- Get the Biggest Savings With MVNOs
- How No Contract Phone Plans Save You Money
- The Best Unlimited Talk and Text No Contract Plans
- The Best No Contract Unlimited Data Plan
- The Best No Contract Family Plan
- The Best No Contract Plan for Kids
- Best No Contract Plan for Seniors
- Best Cheap No Contract Plan
- Best No Contract Data Only Plan
Key Factors to Consider When Choosing a No Contract Cell Phone Plan
Here are a few factors to consider to help you decide on the plan that fits your needs:
- Coverage: Check out cell phone coverage maps so that you can choose a carrier that has a strong 4G LTE signal in your area. Don't forget to take into account any areas to which you travel frequently.
- Cost: Some carriers offer a better deal for high data users while others focus on smaller basic plans.
- Number of lines: If you need more than one line you'll want to compare family plans to find the best deal. Otherwise, you can just compare the best plans for one person.
- Features: Each carrier offers something a little different in terms of extras. You can find no contract phone plans with international calling, mobile hotspot usage, and add-ons like more data.
- Device: No contract cell phone plans often require you to bring your own phone. Compatibility depends on whether your new carrier uses a GSM or CDMA network. AT&T and T-Mobile use GSM phones and Sprint and Verizon use CDMA.
Get the Biggest Savings With MVNOs
Mobile Virtual Network Operators (MVNOs) buy or lease extra network capacity from the big four wireless carriers. These smaller mobile providers are able to sell that service to you at a discount because they don't have the high overhead that the major carriers have.
Advantages of MVNOs:
- The same nationwide 4G LTE networks as the major carriers
- Cheaper prices
- Custom plans that let you pick exactly what you pay for
- Great customer service
- No contracts, credit checks, or overage fees
- Easy signup process by simply ordering a new SIM card
How No Contract Phone Plans Save You Money
There are a couple ways this option saves you money:
- Customization: By picking and choosing just what you need - and nothing more - you pay only for the elements of the service that you're actually going to use. This alone can save you hundreds of dollars per year.
- Flexibility: Unhappy with your choice of mobile providers? You can switch carriers any time you want. You're not roped into paying higher prices than you want while you wait for your contract to expire.
The Best Unlimited Talk and Text No Contract Plans
Tello operates using the Sprint network. There are plenty of customization options with Tello unlimited talk and text plans. Choose no data (Wi-Fi only) all the way up to 10 GB of high-speed data.
You also get these perks:
- Tethering using your plan data
- Included calling to Canada, China, and Mexico
- No extra fees
- Optional international add-on service
Compare Tello unlimited plans to create your custom cell phone plan.
The Best No Contract Unlimited Data Plan
US Mobile gives you a wide variety of choices, all on the reliable Verizon Wireless network.
Choose your plan:
- 100 minutes and 100 texts with unlimited data
- Unlimited calls and text messages, unlimited data
- Unlimited calling, texts, and data plus mobile hotspot usage
Choose your speed:
- 1 Mbps
- 5 Mbps
- Uncapped data speeds (up to 150 Mbps)
Compare US Mobile plans to start saving today.
The Best No Contract Family Plan
Mint Mobile (formerly Mint SIM) runs on the T-Mobile network. Mint is unique in that it offers a bulk discount on its prepaid plans. Instead of monthly plans, Mint sells service in lots of three, six, or 12 months. The more you buy, the deeper the discounts. That essentially amounts to a loyalty reward plan, which - let's face it - is unheard of in the cell phone industry.
Mint Mobile plans are pretty simple. All come with unlimited talk and text. There are three data buckets - 2GB, 5GB, and 10GB. Need more? Add data or international service to any plan.
Compare: Need cheap lines for just two people? If so, refer to our guide, "Cheap Phone Plans for Two."
The Best No Contract Plan for Kids
What we love about Mint as a cell phone plan for kids is that they take the fussiness out of the whole process. The 2 GB option is perfect for younger kids who need a phone to contact you, yet you won't feel the pinch of data overages. The 5 GB plan is great for teens - plenty of data for all that streaming and social media interaction, but still ridiculously affordable.
Compare Mint Mobile plans and say goodbye to wireless sticker shock.
Best No Contract Plan for Seniors
Shopping for a senior cell phone plan for yourself or a family member? Twigby may be just the answer. This Sprint and Verizon MVNO provides everything from basic wireless phone service to a 4 GB high-speed data plan for smartphone users.
As for talk minutes, you can choose from 200 up to unlimited calling. Global texting to over 180 countries is free. As far as Twigby's rates, they're affordable enough to fit almost any budget.
Best Cheap No Contract Plan
Tello shines in the arena of cheapest no contract phone plans. You put together the combination of features that work best for you, then watch the savings add up. Change things up any time you want. Enjoy calls to Canada, China, and Mexico using your plan minutes.
Whether you choose the bare minimum or go all out with the highest data bucket they offer, you'll still pay less than half of the average cell phone bill.
Best No Contract Data Only Plan
Yes, you can buy a data only plan from MVNOs. Tello is our favorite service provider for your tablets and other devices that don't need talk and text.
The big four charge as much as $10 a GB for data - that really adds up if you're streaming HD video or gaming on the go. Tello data only plans save you 50% for service on the same reliable networks.
Best Overall No Contract Plan
Out of all the great MVNOs we recommend, Mint is our pick for the most well-rounded and affordable carrier. They offer the common features that most users look for:
- Great prices
- Your choice of data amounts
- Tethering included
- Unlimited talk and text
- Bulk discounts
- 7-day customer service
- Extras like international and data boosts
See what Mint Mobile has to offer you.
Great Ways to Save on Your Next Smartphone
There's no reason your device can't be as budget-friendly as your cell phone plan. Instead of paying $30 a month for the shiniest new iPhone or Samsung Galaxy, try these money-saving options:
- Bring your own phone: If you're upgrading every year or two just to do it, consider breaking that expensive cycle by using your current phone until it's truly outdated or worn out.
- Buy a used device: Maybe you really want something new and different. No problem - choose from popular smartphones at half the retail price.
Finally, sell your old phone for some extra cash. Compare offers for the best deal.
Don't forget to unlock your phone from your current carrier so you can take it to your new one.
Going with a no contract plan these days means saving money without sacrificing quality or quantity. Get inspired to switch now by checking out how much you can save over your current phone bill.