There's a big change afoot in the wireless world. Two major factors are behind this shift: the rise in the used cell phone market as consumers struggle with smartphone sticker shock and the growing popularity of low-cost carriers.
If you need to tighten the purse strings it may be time to consider a new cell phone plan. We make it simple for you to find the right plan, plus save hundreds on your next phone.
In This Guide
Key Considerations When Switching Plans
Before we go any further let's look at the factors to keep in mind when you start shopping for a new cell phone plan:
- Budget: Custom plans let you pick and choose exactly what you want to pay for. In fact, most people don't need as much data as they think. You could probably shave a substantial amount off your monthly bill by scaling down. Use our data usage calculator to see what you actually need.
- Coverage: Before choosing a wireless network you should assess which one has the best coverage in your area.
- Features: Do you need international service? Is a mobile hotspot a necessity? Each company offers different features and options to meet a wide variety of needs.
- Compatibility: If you plan to bring your own phone you can use our IMEI number checker to see if it's compatible with your chosen carrier.
- Termination fees: If you still owe payments on your phone or are under contract you may have to pay fees to your current provider to get out of your commitment. Make sure you're free and clear to leave.
- Promotions: Some carriers offer a temporary discount. For example, Twigby gives you 25% off your first six months. You should take into account what your bill will be once the promotion ends and whether it will still fit your budget.
Now it's time to figure out exactly how much money you can save over your current phone bill just by switching to a different carrier. Most people can save at least 50%, often more, over what they're paying.
Using our cell phone plan savings calculator simply follow these steps:
- Click on your current provider in the drop-down menu.
- Choose the amount of data you have or need.
- Adjust the slider to show what you're currently paying per month for service.
- Click on "Find a cheaper plan"!
Once you're done we'll send you recommendations for getting a better price on your current network. All within just a couple of minutes!
How It Works
We've talked about switching plans to save money, so you've probably got questions about how it all works.
The way to save hundreds of dollars per year without sacrificing quality of service is by going with an MVNO.
How Do MVNOs Save You Money?
Mobile Virtual Network Operators are carriers that rent space on the big four networks and sell it to you at a discount price.
MVNOs are cheaper because:
- They don't own the equipment, so they don't have the construction and building costs of the big guys.
- They don't typically have brick-and-mortar stores, rather they operate solely online, so their overhead is low.
- MVNOs don't advertise on a large scale the way AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon Wireless, and Sprint do. All of that marketing costs big money.
Benefits of MVNOs
There are many reasons to consider an alternative wireless carrier:
- The same reliable 4G LTE networks you already know and love
- Over 50% off in savings on your phone bill
- No contracts or credit checks
- Great customer service
- Ease of keeping your phone and your phone number
- Customized plans to fit your needs and budget
- Ease of switching by signing up online
Convinced? It's tough not to be! Compare cell phone plans to find the best MVNO for your needs.
Want to Save Even More Money? Let Us Help!
Now that you know how to save a bundle on your wireless service, let's look at other ways to put more cash back in your pocket.
Buy a Refurbished Phone
Flagship smartphones are creeping ever closer to $1,000 in retail price. Whether you're looking at paying all of that in a lump sum or taking on $30 - $40 per month device payments, your wallet's going to take a big hit.
Buying a used or refurbished cell phone can save you more than 50% off the retail price. Find out everything you need to know when you're shopping for a refurb plus compare prices on devices in just seconds.
Sell Your Old Phone
See how much cash you can get for your old smartphone by checking our convenient sell your phone comparison tool.
Tempted to trade into your carrier instead? Consider this comparison example:
- Current trade-in value through AT&T for your Samsung Galaxy S8: $180 (in excellent condition).
- Best current offer through a phone buyback site for that same S8: $250
When it's time to upgrade you're almost always better off selling your own phone and using the cash to buy a refurbished one at 50% or more off retail.
Cell phone plan savings are easy to come by if you follow the steps outlined in this guide:
- Decide what's important to you in a plan. Compare your current phone bill to cheaper wireless plans using our savings calculator.
- Use our comparison tool to find a cheaper cell phone plan.
- Buy a used phone to save up to 50% off retail.
- Sell your old device for cash.
Then start making plans for how you're going to spend the hundreds you'll save each year!