T-Mobile made a bold move in 2017 - they did away with all of their postpaid plans with data limits and started offering just one option, the unlimited T-Mobile ONE plan. And it's not cheap.
Even though the Uncarrier has decided one size should fit all, that doesn't mean you're out of options for the best T-Mobile cell phone plans.
COMPARE NOW: Cheap T-Mobile MVNO plans starting at $10
Read on to find out how to get a custom plan that fits your needs without giving up this solid nationwide network. I'll also tell you how to save 50% or more on top smartphones. It's easier than you think!
Table of Contents
Love the T-Mobile Network but Hate Their Prices?
The problem is that all of that speed and reliability comes at a steep price. After decades of being strapped to the big four, though, competition is finally creating choices for consumers.
MVNOs - Mobile Virtual Network Operators - offer an out from the high plan prices while maintaining the ability to stay on your favorite network. These smaller carriers use the big four carriers' networks, but their lower operating costs allow them to give you cheaper rates.
Benefits of MVNOs
Switching to a T-Mobile MVNO offers several advantages over the big guys:
- Service on the same reliable T-Mobile 4G LTE network you're used to
- Cheaper prices by 50% or more
- Flexible plans so you can customize what you pay for
- No contracts
- Easy to BYOP (bring your own phone) and keep your phone number
- Convenient signup - everything typically is done online
Remember, despite the great rates offered by MVNOs, you're not sacrificing quality because they use the same network infrastructure as the major carriers.
Do You Really Need Unlimited Data?
You may think you need unlimited high-speed data, but do you really? Even if you do a lot of music and video streaming, browsing the internet and using your favorite apps, you probably don't need as much as you think.
In fact, data shows that the average T-Mobile unlimited plan customer only uses about 6 GB of data per billing cycle. That's crazy when you think about how much data you're actually paying for!
Buying a smaller plan is one of the best ways to save money on your wireless service. Check our data usage calculator to see if you're paying too much for data you don't need.
T-Mobile vs T-Mobile MVNO Price Comparison
|Carrier||Network Coverage||Data Limit||Monthly Price||Annual Price|
|T-Mobile||T-Mobile 4G LTE||Unlimited*||$70||$840|
|Mint Mobile||T-Mobile 4G LTE||10GB||$25||$300|
|* Avg. T-Mobile unlimited plan customer uses 6GB data|
The Best T-Mobile MVNOs
Shop the best T-Mobile cell phone plans available from our favorite T-Mobile MVNOs.
Formerly known as Mint SIM, this carrier has a unique business model that works to save you a ton.
- Service sold in bulk - choice of 3, 6, or 12 months at a time
- 2 GB, 5 GB, or 10 GB of data
- Add-on data and international service available
- Must BYOP
Compare Mint Mobile plans.
Maybe you discovered you actually do need an unlimited data plan. Ultra Mobile has you covered, for a lot less than T-Mobile ONE.
- Plan options from 500 MB to unlimited data
- $5 rollover international roaming credit
- Unlimited text and unlimited talk to over 75 countries
- Family plans with shareable data
Compare Ultra Mobile plans.
3 Simple Steps to Switch
Switching wireless carriers is a snap. You know how much money you can save - now it's time to take the leap!
- Decide on a plan size: You've calculated your data usage, now you just need to decide how many texts and calling minutes you need. Checking your online account with your current carrier can give you a solid idea of what you go through each month.
- Choose a T-Mobile MVNO: This part should be easy as long as you know what kind of plan you're looking for. Each carrier provides different options and features, so pick the one that fits you and your budget the best.
- Check device compatibility and sign up: Make sure you've got a GSM phone and that it's compatible with your chosen carrier (you can check on their website). Then simply follow the instructions for ordering your new SIM card.
Don't have a compatible smartphone? No problem - we've got an affordable solution up next.
Save Even More - Buy a Refurbished T-Mobile Phone
Smartphones can run upwards of $600. But committing to phone financing also means committing to your wireless provider, even if you become unhappy with the service or prices.
Buying a used or refurbished phone solves both problems, plus it's the smart choice for other reasons.
Benefits of Buying a Refurbished Smartphone
- Reputable seller sites make it convenient to compare and buy top smartphones in great condition.
- You'll own your phone, so you can switch carriers any time you please.
- Phone repair stores are available everywhere now, making repairs simple and affordable.
- Most sellers provide warranties for your added peace of mind.
- Buying refurbished is environmentally friendly.
You'll pay about half or even less of the retail price for your device by going this route. We make it easy to compare the best deals on refurbished cell phones from multiple sellers at once.
- Saving money on your cell phone plan doesn't mean sacrificing service quality.
- You're probably paying too much for data you don't need!
- It's super simple to get a popular smartphone at an incredible price.
Still not sure? Find out exactly how much you could be saving with our cell phone plan savings calculator!
P.S. Don't forget to sell your old phone for cash!
COMPARE NOW: Cheap T-Mobile MVNO plans starting at $10